Like Tree24Likes

Just moved in - extremely moldy washing machine

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blueagles:
    If you can no longer wait, drop off your laundry at the corner laundry shop and have them washed in the meantime.
    i guess this is why the machine had gone moldy in the beginning. Previous tenant too lazy/wealthy to use a washing machine!

This is something I have never been comfortable with. The tenant pays the agent commission and so does the landlord. So in whose best interest is the agent acting for? I was negotiating my rent last year and the agent blatantly told me my offer was too low and what it had to be. The agent gets a cut of it and would benefit from higher rent, to my detriment (even though I would be paying commission).

Back in Melbourne, I have a rental property that is let out. I pay the agent. The agent works for me and gets me the best rent, does inspections, chases rent, etc.

Things here are different and I cannot understand how there isn't a conflict of interest.

I would try one of those washing machine cleaners (keep a receipt and deduct from rent). It should clean it up.

Quote Originally Posted by travelonbudget:
    Easiest yes, but we're paying a lot of money and wasted our perfectly good washing machine because they told us it was fine.
    I will channel what RMDNC has said and tell the agent to get his shit together. Thanks
    You have to pick your battles and only you can decide if this is likely to be worth it. I personally would not choose to fight over this molehill.
    TheBrit and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Good luck with that, the agent has taken your commission and probably couldnt care less about the moldy washing machine and will probably tell you to deal it with the LL lol
    He will care if you visit him (hopefully its convenient) or call him every 30 mins. If he doesnt answer then fill his voice mail. Call his boss, call his colleagues. Make it seem like a nightmare for him until he fixes it. But balance this with doing it yourself to be more expeditious. On principle, the RE and landlord made a promise. Although not written in any K, you still relied on it and they know you did IMO.
    Last edited by RMDNC; 26-05-2020 at 12:19 PM.

Deleted

Last edited by RMDNC; 26-05-2020 at 12:18 PM.

I would replace the washing machine gasket and run the unit on solid bleach, no clothes as others have suggested. Once the gasket is vile, seems it does not really get clean again. Or, pull the gasket out, put it in a bucket with bleach, soak overnight. Gasket is cheap and not hard to replace (Youtube videos on how to do it for your model). Deduct from rent. And then leave the door to the washer open so it can dry properly so this doesn't happen again. I leave my door open a few centimeters to avoid the mold issue.

The smell you described is Hong Kong.

Mold cannot be removed by washing and all rubbers develop mold in moist environments over time. You could take them off their mountings and place them in a tub of bleach + water mix. This will kill 99% of the mold. And also run some bleach through a cycle and draino bomb all areas that water runs out from.

Welcome to Hong Kong. Air conditioners can't wait to greet you with their relentless dripping all over your head and clothes. And don't let people poke your eyes out with their umbrellas. They will not move them in Hong Kong.

tell the landlord that you are concerned the rubber seal on the washer door may fail due to all of the mould and if it should do that, obviously there is a high chance of it flooding the room and causing damage to the flat as well as your downstairs neighbours. Maybe that will spur him into action?

If you initially try and fix it yourself then the LL has an excuse to come back and blame you for anything that might happen. Just sayin'

We have asked to replace the parts but they don't seem to want to spend any money at this moment in time. The agent is adamant about the fact that it can still function...

So the landlord has agreed to come visit us and see the washing machine themselves. Yes, this is a battle I will fight. I love having nice smelling clothes and I'd rather die than smell like mildew and mold. I will update later to see how everything turns out. nice to see everyone here giving their opinions and input to this situation. Thought it would be a boring topic for all.

Quote Originally Posted by travelonbudget:
    ... So the landlord has agreed to come visit us and see the washing machine themselves. Yes, this is a battle I will fight. I love having nice smelling clothes and I'd rather die than smell like mildew and mold....
    I hope it doesn't come to that...