Like Tree24Likes

Just moved in - extremely moldy washing machine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

by the way, although you can spend your time and do it yourself, it is very likely to be under 1000 HKD to get a technician to come out and replace the gasket for you and provide you a receipt and be done with it.

tell the landlord that you are concerned the rubber seal on the washer door may fail due to all of the mould and if it should do that, obviously there is a high chance of it flooding the room and causing damage to the flat as well as your downstairs neighbours. Maybe that will spur him into action?

If you initially try and fix it yourself then the LL has an excuse to come back and blame you for anything that might happen. Just sayin'

We have asked to replace the parts but they don't seem to want to spend any money at this moment in time. The agent is adamant about the fact that it can still function...

So the landlord has agreed to come visit us and see the washing machine themselves. Yes, this is a battle I will fight. I love having nice smelling clothes and I'd rather die than smell like mildew and mold. I will update later to see how everything turns out. nice to see everyone here giving their opinions and input to this situation. Thought it would be a boring topic for all.

Quote Originally Posted by travelonbudget:
    ... So the landlord has agreed to come visit us and see the washing machine themselves. Yes, this is a battle I will fight. I love having nice smelling clothes and I'd rather die than smell like mildew and mold....
    I hope it doesn't come to that...

If you'd rather die than have clothes smell like mildew, then I think you'd better find the airport quickly! We already had a red rainstorm this week!

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    If you'd rather die than have clothes smell like mildew, then I think you'd better find the airport quickly! We already had a red rainstorm this week!
    Yes Im well aware of the humidity in HK. I've lived here for a long time and Ive experienced the rare occasion my clothes have smelt bad but I don't want it to smell bad despite the fact I'm washing my clothes. For all our past rentals we have had to purchase our own machine so we have no real experience in dealing with this situation...

Anyways, landlord was shocked to see the state of the washing machine and agreed to buy us a new one. we did offer to instead opt for replacing it with new parts (rubber gasket and tray).

Yes Im well aware of the humidity in HK. I've lived here for a long time and Ive experienced the rare occasion my clothes have smelt bad but I don't want it to smell bad despite the fact I'm washing my clothes. For all our past rentals we have had to purchase our own machine so we have no real experience in dealing with this situation...

Anyways, landlord was shocked to see the state of the washing machine and agreed to buy us a new one. we did offer to instead opt for replacing it with new parts (rubber gasket and tray).
    Simply amazing!!!

Please let your landlord know that a "LIke" is heading their way.

Praise the LORD Hallelujah !!!!
    chingleutsch likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3