Like Tree24Likes

Just moved in - extremely moldy washing machine

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Just moved in - extremely moldy washing machine

Just moved into a new apartment. Unfortunately could not check the actual listing but we checked identical apartments - silly I know but we were pressed for time and didn't want an apartment facing the sun all the time.

The landlord assured us that the washing machine (6 years old) was still functioning. It is, but its extremely moldy. The rubber parts are covered in mold that cannot be removed and the tray is as well. When we started the machine we could smell sewage and it didn't appear that anyone had used it in a long time. In our previous apartment we also had a 6-yo washing machine but was clean with no mold. We wanted to bring it over but was told by both the real estate agent and landlord that they wanted to keep the one in the apartment instead.

Before the real estate agent assured me that if there was anything wrong with the washing machine they could fix it up or even buy a new one no problem. Now they keep asking me to clean it up myself. I see it as something they should have done before we moved in. What can we do? We're starting to have a pile of dirty laundry for 4 people.

Over time it's an issue, get a drum cleaning pack from JHC (maybe add some bleach too-check instructions first) and you'll be ok to wash your clothes for some time, but yes, eventually you don't want a moldy anything here as it's a source for future mold growth.

imparanoic likes this.

Run a wash/ rinse/ drain cycle with a full bottle of bleach and no clothing.

The tray should be removable - there might be a tab you need to squeeze or push to get it out - and you can scrub that off in the sink (more bleach!).

As for the rubber seals, get some of the same kind of stuff you use for cleaning grouting in bathrooms, sacrifice a toothbrush and some elbow grease, and scrub out the crevices. Do wear gloves while doing this and make sure the area is well ventilated.

Good luck!

MABinPengChau likes this.

It should be free of mold and in good operating condition the day you moved in. Don't let them jerk you around. You go to the RE office and tell the agent to get his or shit together and push the landlord to make the place habitable. I would not accept you buying any refurbishment kit and doing the work yourself. That's the landlord's job. Tell the agent you will withold rent unless fixed.

travelonbudget likes this.

Lots of videos on YouTube. Probably fastest and easiest to just sort it yourself.

https://youtu.be/zcqldoFFygo

chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Lots of videos on YouTube. Probably fastest and easiest to just sort it yourself.

https://youtu.be/zcqldoFFygo
    Easiest yes, but we're paying a lot of money and wasted our perfectly good washing machine because they told us it was fine.
    I will channel what RMDNC has said and tell the agent to get his shit together. Thanks
    TaD_LaLa and Morrison like this.

Quote Originally Posted by travelonbudget:
    I will channel what RMDNC has said and tell the agent to get his shit together. Thanks
    Good luck with that, the agent has taken your commission and probably couldnt care less about the moldy washing machine and will probably tell you to deal it with the LL lol
    shri, hullexile, Elegiaque and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by travelonbudget:
    Easiest yes, but we're paying a lot of money and wasted our perfectly good washing machine because they told us it was fine.
    I also lament about this and that and how much rent is. I'm fortunate to have a more reasonable partner. Seriously. Get some done bleach, vinegar and get on with it. You can maybe have a washing machine in an hour...
    chingleutsch likes this.

If you can no longer wait, drop off your laundry at the corner laundry shop and have them washed in the meantime.

MABinPengChau likes this.

I found our agent very helpful when we had issues with the flat, He would liaise with the landlord and organise to get thing done. We had 3 A/C issues over time all fixed with no hassle.

You and the landlord have paid a sizeable sum to the agent. Their job is to sort issues.

Or maybe I was just lucky???

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast