Like Tree5Likes

Wan Chai or somewhere else

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman:
    There are still plenty of massage parlours and hooker dens on and around queens road East.
    I'd say it's quiet now but when the travel restrictions finally ease wanchai is a place where you do get the street hookers roaming around, esp jaffe/lockhart and sometimes further afield

Just another suggestion: You could also look to Kennedy Town or Sai Ying Pun. A bit quieter and you might get slightly more for your money. Yet still under 10min ride on the MTR.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Too many scams and not enough consumer protection laws either on the interwebs or on the ground here in HK. Do NOT pay any deposits or otherwise get locked in to any lease arrangements from afar. I agree with the others who have suggested getting a serviced apartment or hotel room for at least the first month - by local standards they are stupid cheap at present.

Yup that’s the plan, I’ve got 2 months accommodation settled, and i will take that time to go check out the apartments in person. Currently doing some homework to shortlist neighborhood/apartments

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Star Street is fine, interesting area, restaurants, shopping, etc. Very easy to get to BOC. I lived in Wan Chai, further down, near Hopewell Centre. Single woman, never had an issue, lived there about 1.5 years...

I’m planning expand my search towards Hopewell as well so thanks for sharing your experience
    Last edited by mich14; 02-08-2020 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    Just another suggestion: You could also look to Kennedy Town or Sai Ying Pun. A bit quieter and you might get slightly more for your money. Yet still under 10min ride on the MTR.

K town and SYP are on defo on the list, albeit lower. The apartments there seem a lot newer/modern ... currently I live in another city where i get to walk to work under 20 mins, and not have to deal with commuting (crowd and all that stuff). Therefore I’m hoping to find something similar in my next stint in HK
    Last edited by mich14; 02-08-2020 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Wan Chai Red Light District is DEAD. the few remaining girly bars are on lockhard road.

Star Street has no red light district near it to be noisy enough to disturb you

That’s good to know.. actually i was also concerned with noise pollution from nearby shopping malls/streets etc

And if you have "BIG feet" - be sure to bring any number of shoes - for I am told that acquiring suitable sized "Clod-hoppers" are pretty near impossible.

Not that I would know - my feet are within the range for "standard" HK shoes.

Won't the OP need 2 weeks of quarantine?

And what is the indication the OP is a woman, as some have suggested?

Quote Originally Posted by mich14:
    Hello,!

I'll be moving to HK in a couple of months, and have started the process of shortlisting some potential apartments. My company is located close to the BOC building, and I want to have the option of walking to/from work (ie: under 25 mins). Budget around 23k-25k, plus the apartments will have to be <20years old. It will just be me.

Found a couple of apartments around Star Street but I'm concerned with the noise/ activities (it is close to the red-light district I read?). Any one can share how their experience have been ? or do you have other apartment recs ?

thank you!
    It's a bit uphill, if you don't mind. A number of small coffee shops and restaurants near the area as have already been indicated. When I walk around that area, it has normally been quiet. And it's way on the opposite side of the "red light district".

I have two recently-arrived colleagues (one over half a year now) who are living full time in hotels still.

Cheaper than rentals at the moment, no hassles with a deposit or contract, and complete freedom to flip to another hotel when they want a change of scene.

Skyhook and MABinPengChau like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2