Like Tree9Likes

Working in Central. Moving with family - where to live?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I plan to stay out of politics and keep my head down at work.

Are there rights / freedoms eroded that don't affect somebody who isn't getting involved in politics?

Jaz Paul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wawahi1212:

Are there rights / freedoms eroded that don't affect somebody who isn't getting involved in politics?
    Just general degradation of society. The erosion of press freedoms lead to even less scrunity of the executive branch with concomitant worsening of performance. This shows up in everyday life where decisions are/are not taken impacting the lives of everyone in HK.

I'm sure @East_coast has hundreds of examples.

The police feel more empowered to do what the fuck they please and beat or arrest you for being in the wrong place or wearing the wrong colour.

The judiciary is being weakened and will ultimately be a direct tool of the CCP, as it is in China. So there will be no recourse to the courts to right wrongs.

If you feel you'd be comfortable working in Shenzhen, Beijing or Shanghai, you'll do just fine here.

This is the new normal.

Honestly though .. don't over think it, esp if you can move back in a couple of years and you're not making a 'until death do us apart' commitment to this city.
    chingleutsch and hullexile like this.

Kiz

There is an expat real estate agency in South Lantau who would be able to show you around and also explain the local quirks of living in different villages. They are called home solutions. I've lived in 2 villages here both lots of expats and none of the issues commonly found in other villages. Worth a look in addition to other places mentioned. Some villages have a lot of unwritten rules. They tend to have less expats.

You will either like it or not. But definitely do not under any circumstances rent here without viewing a place and also I'd suggest spending a fair amount of time here before deciding. Discovery Bay may be your bag but is very different to south Lantau, Ma Wan may be suitable. All worth checking out.

Sticking back with the original task at hand, regarding where to live.

In my experienced opinion, as a newbie with young family, DONT move out into the OZARKS and make your life needlessly irritating.

My advice for locations now that rents have started to become more reasonable, would be as follows:

Happy Valley which in my opinion would be an excellent spot to wear your way into HK life like a pair of favourite shoes.

North Point and Braemar Hill which will provide you quite a lot including an excellent view of the CNY harbour fire works if you pick the right building.

Also, dont be afraid to be right in the thick of Central, around Lyndhurst Terrace and Wellington st etc or Star Street Wan Chai, as for a first timer, I'd recommend immersing yourself into the whole HK Island experience first for a couple of years. If you stay longer then sure, then you can trot off out to the OZARKS and enjoy that 60 minute commute.

But for the uninitiated, enjoy HK on the Island right in the thick of it all otherwise you have not really experienced Hong Kong. You'll thank me later when its just so easy and immediate to visit colleagues and friends etc or arrange play dates etc, the moment you step out your door. For your budget you'll easily get a 2 bedroom apartment without any issue in all the area's I mentioned.

I had this discussion a few months ago with my youngest sister, who moved to HK from Shanghai, but she settled for Discovery Bay, as she was a bit Shanghai'd out lol. She used to stay at our house when she visited when we lived in Sai kung, which was fine as we had a 5 bedroom stand alone house.

If you want to live in a location that has more traditionally stand alone houses, ( although prices arent cheap anymore, expect to pay $20,000hkd per 700ft2 floor) then Sai Kung could be another consideration, but later on, once you have already had the HK Island experience first, then you can move out to more spacious environments but cryptically commute centric locations.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Just general degradation of society. The erosion of press freedoms lead to even less scrunity of the executive branch with concomitant worsening of performance. This shows up in everyday life where decisions are/are not taken impacting the lives of everyone in HK.

I'm sure @East_coast has hundreds of examples.

The police feel more empowered to do what the fuck they please and beat or arrest you for being in the wrong place or wearing the wrong colour.

The judiciary is being weakened and will ultimately be a direct tool of the CCP, as it is in China. So there will be no recourse to the courts to right wrongs.
    Agree... but one thing to add is teargas. In the heat of things (which was quite a few months last year), people and bystanders were getting caught in teargas. Some consideration needed to be made about how to commute home, if MTR lines had stopped running or skipping stations, riot police were entering malls, etc. The day I got my HK permanent resident card, I was lucky because the teargas was in Kowloon that day. These things are to some degree "isolated" and you can get information about where to avoid, but I still did have colleagues and friends who got caught in it. It's also stressful to have to even consider this before commuting. Also, many traffic lights were out for periods. I vividly remember some Monday-morning taxi rides on Nathan Rd. which looked like a war zone.

Now with the NSL we've entered a new era, so it's hard to say if that period of government-led violence will continue or not or in what form.

Btw, there have been lunchtime Central brief "lunch with you" kind of "protests". Not sure if they can continue.
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 16-08-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Where to live? I would recommend you look at Stanley. Although there is no MTR, there are many good bus routes and you would be able to get into Central within one hour (door to door) or less, in relative comfort and with a seat (better than being squashed on the MTR during non-COVID times - I have always preferred the bus to the MTR anyway). Your wife and kid would LOVE living in Stanley because of the open spaces, the greenery, the play areas and the beaches. Also less of a "culture shock" for new arrivals I think.

Stanley is an area that is not on many people's radar because it is not directly connected to the MTR (you could get to the Ocean Park MTR pretty quickly though - a short ride on the bus or minibus). My office moved from Central to Quarry Bay and I had/have no problems travelling to work to either district. These days I either take the number 40 to CausewayBay MTR or the minibus to Chai Wan MTR. Works fine for me.

I think you could get a 2 bedroom unit for around 16,000HK. Not many come on the market, but you could have a look around the agents' places in Stanley. Sometimes they come up in the classified ads section as well.

Quote Originally Posted by omigosh:
    Where to live? I would recommend you look at Stanley. Although there is no MTR, there are many good bus routes and you would be able to get into Central within one hour (door to door) or less, in relative comfort and with a seat (better than being squashed on the MTR during non-COVID times - I have always preferred the bus to the MTR anyway). Your wife and kid would LOVE living in Stanley because of the open spaces, the greenery, the play areas and the beaches. Also less of a "culture shock" for new arrivals I think.

Stanley is an area that is not on many people's radar because it is not directly connected to the MTR (you could get to the Ocean Park MTR pretty quickly though - a short ride on the bus or minibus). My office moved from Central to Quarry Bay and I had/have no problems travelling to work to either district. These days I either take the number 40 to CausewayBay MTR or the minibus to Chai Wan MTR. Works fine for me.

I think you could get a 2 bedroom unit for around 16,000HK. Not many come on the market, but you could have a look around the agents' places in Stanley. Sometimes they come up in the classified ads section as well.
    Another location that could be considered would be Shek O town, which is close to Stanley, where you could rent a small village house in the heart of this cute as a button seaside village and if you pick the right house you could get one close enough to the water that you can hear and sea. They don't advertise places conventionally there though, everybody usually goes to Lu Lu's cafe located near the main beach car park, she knows what is available for rent, but that would be a very cool/unique location in HK to live. You can get to central easy enough by Public Light Mini Bus and live in a place that has a bit of an eclectic community.

Rents are probably in the $16 - $25K range for a 2 bedroom place with a roof top patio etc

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Sticking back with the original task at hand, regarding where to live.

In my experienced opinion, as a newbie with young family, DONT move out into the OZARKS and make your life needlessly irritating.

My advice for locations now that rents have started to become more reasonable, would be as follows:

Happy Valley which in my opinion would be an excellent spot to wear your way into HK life like a pair of favourite shoes.

North Point and Braemar Hill which will provide you quite a lot including an excellent view of the CNY harbour fire works if you pick the right building.

Also, dont be afraid to be right in the thick of Central, around Lyndhurst Terrace and Wellington st etc or Star Street Wan Chai, as for a first timer, I'd recommend immersing yourself into the whole HK Island experience first for a couple of years. If you stay longer then sure, then you can trot off out to the OZARKS and enjoy that 60 minute commute.

But for the uninitiated, enjoy HK on the Island right in the thick of it all otherwise you have not really experienced Hong Kong. You'll thank me later when its just so easy and immediate to visit colleagues and friends etc or arrange play dates etc, the moment you step out your door. For your budget you'll easily get a 2 bedroom apartment without any issue in all the area's I mentioned.

I had this discussion a few months ago with my youngest sister, who moved to HK from Shanghai, but she settled for Discovery Bay, as she was a bit Shanghai'd out lol. She used to stay at our house when she visited when we lived in Sai kung, which was fine as we had a 5 bedroom stand alone house.

If you want to live in a location that has more traditionally stand alone houses, ( although prices arent cheap anymore, expect to pay $20,000hkd per 700ft2 floor) then Sai Kung could be another consideration, but later on, once you have already had the HK Island experience first, then you can move out to more spacious environments but cryptically commute centric locations.
    I would echo this post, it may seem pretty convenient but having to get a ferry back home as well as potentially taking a bus to get to the ferry to get back home to Ma Wan, it would be quite tiring after a while especially for the 3 of you. I have a similar situation where I live not in the city centre, but need to get the minibus from the city centre where we have a 3 bedroom with a large balcony. I do mostly enjoy living here but sometimes I just book into a hotel on HK island because you always think abt your journey home if you might get back a bit later and save myself the journey home. It's good to experience HK life when you 1st get here
    Skyhook likes this.

Hi,

We are planning to move from London to Hong Kong around October.

We are trying to figure out where to live. I will be working and my wife and 2 year old son will be at home.

What would be good areas for us to live in?

I woukd like as big accoms as possible, within 45-60 min commute. Budget ideally within 25k

Agree with Katherine, you haven't supplied enough info to give sound recommendations.

However renting apartments in HK is EASY (but expensive) , it can be done in a week or less if you want it.

Give more info, rock up, stay in a hotel for a month whilst you check out different areas.

Easy, it's a buyers market.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2