Like Tree28Likes

Landlord deposit reductions

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    If you really want the 2000 back, why not sign the form? It's not like you are going to file any claims against the landlord in the future. I would do it just to get my 2000 because they are betting you won't bother and they will keep your 2000. 2000 x 100 tenants per year, easy money...

Do it just for the inconvenience it will cause the landlord (and maybe legal fees the landlord will have to pay out...).
    Sorry I don't understand your point! Landlord has all of my deposit. He hasn't returned any of it. In order for him to return the bulk of it (less his deductions of 2000 +) I have to sign a form saying I won't raise any claims against him. I'm not sure if he will return any of my deposit unless I go to his lawyers to sign the form. It's not an inconvenience for him if we sign the form - this is what he wants us to do to get our money back.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ2020:
    Ok, so you think don't go to the lawyers to collect any of the money and just file a small claim if its not returned within the month?
    You tell this company/LL that you will file a small claims case against them as you do NOT agree to the deduction as it was not mentioned or listed in the checkout inspection, I assume you have a copy of the agreed state of property upon check out date??

You demand they return full deposit within the contract requirements of 1 month after checkout.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    You tell this company/LL that you will file a small claims case against them as you do NOT agree to the deduction as it was not mentioned or listed in the checkout inspection, I assume you have a copy of the agreed state of property upon check out date??

You demand they return full deposit within the contract requirements of 1 month after checkout.
    In writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    In writing.

I've done this by email if that counts? They just replied ignoring everything I said saying "Anyway, your cheque is with the solicitor please make an appointment to sign the form and collect it"

Quote Originally Posted by TJ2020:
    Sorry I don't understand your point! Landlord has all of my deposit. He hasn't returned any of it. In order for him to return the bulk of it (less his deductions of 2000 +) I have to sign a form saying I won't raise any claims against him. I'm not sure if he will return any of my deposit unless I go to his lawyers to sign the form. It's not an inconvenience for him if we sign the form - this is what he wants us to do to get our money back.
    Ah, I misread, I thought he would give you the entire amount back if you signed, my bad. Still, slimy and disgusting as it is, I would be inclined to take what I can get, even when you win in small claims it is a hassle collecting. Seems keeping part of the deposit is what many landlords do...
    TJ2020 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I would be inclined to take what I can get, even when you win in small claims it is a hassle collecting.
    Thats what the company is trying to make them do, pay for the new furniture out of tenants deposit lol

They know some wouldnt want to deal with the hassle so they save money by deducting money.

If you can afford to be without the rest of the deposit for a while, I'd send them an email stating that if they have not returned your deposit in full when 30 days have elapsed you will be making a a claim to the small claims tribunal. If you have it in writing that the inspection found no damage I think they have a weak case. Tenants need to stand their ground and let these people know they can't get away with fraud.

If you can't afford to be without the rest of your deposit then write the $2k off to experience.

in the present climate, I would sign and collect cheque first. then decide if small claims court is worth the effort.

TJ2020 and shri like this.

Don't forget to inform every other flat in the building of the landlord's modus operandi.

They can then stop paying the rent for the last two months of their leases.

TJ2020 likes this.

Only sign something if you are prepared to accept the terms, otherwise don't bother.

Assuming that it's just wear and tear and not major damage, you could refuse to pay. Send them a letter requesting for deposit and take action with Small Claims.

Up to you if you want to admit to damage and negotiate on the damage amount?

Any photo's to support claims, check in vs check out?

Whatever the case, send them a letter by registered post.

On the top of the letter, write "WITHOUT PREJUDICE"

“Without Prejudice”: More than a Label | Hong Kong Lawyer

TJ2020 and shri like this.