Like Tree48Likes

Landlady breaking the lease

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Landlady breaking the lease

I moved to HK from Singapore last year in August. This is my second apartment. The first one was short term.

My landlady is selling my apartment. She said she will give me one month's notice (and half a month's rent for my trouble).

Is that reasonable? My lease is until February.
    Thank you everyone in advance for your advice.

I believe she cannot break the lease before the end of the contract (I assume you have the 1 year fixed + 1 year contract). Within the first year, tenant cannot break, unless you pay the whole year worth of rent. I am pretty sure it is the same the other way around as well.

She’s trying it on with the half a month. She obviously wants to sell, tell her three months if you don’t mind or she can wait until Feb. You’ll get a better deal elsewhere now anyway.

ArrynField likes this.

See what the contract says? There will a break clause and conditions are worded in the contract..

Quote Originally Posted by Heizung:
    I moved to HK from Singapore last year in August. This is my second apartment. The first one was short term.

My landlady is selling my apartment. She said she will give me one month's notice (and half a month's rent for my trouble).

Is that reasonable? My lease is until February.
    Thank you everyone in advance for your advice.
    ArrynField likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shafiq:
    See what the contract says? There will a break clause and conditions are worded in the contract..
    Not necessarily. Often contracts are not breakable in the first year.

If I was the OP I'd ask for at least three months rent to accept the break. The sums are trivial compared to a successful sale.
    bak875 likes this.

Definitely have a negotiation for sure, and two weeks sounds a bit short as you need to find a new place at short notice and all (tho it IS a buyer's market right now), but I would probably settle for six weeks... 3 months sounds quite a lot!

Of course, if you don't want to move at all, then just tell her to bugger off.

ArrynField likes this.

Rents are falling. Negotiate the best amount you can and find somewhere cheaper.

ArrynField likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Rents are falling. Negotiate the best amount you can and find somewhere cheaper.
    Landlady is selling. This is much more relevant than if rents are falling or rising

Much more important to think how much capital the Landlady has at stake for a successful sale. Vacant possession and the ability to see the apartment are valuable commodities the OP can sell, for a price.
    jwyl, gigglinggal, Mary 2 and 3 others like this.

I believe your contract can just carry forward to whoever is buying the apartment...why is she making you leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Taxmyass:
    I believe your contract can just carry forward to whoever is buying the apartment...why is she making you leave?
    Maybe the buyer wants to either see the apartment or live in it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast