Like Tree19Likes

does landlord or tenant pay for additional entry cards?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

does landlord or tenant pay for additional entry cards?

we have two new tenants with a maid, an entry card has been given, they want another 2 entry cards, there is a fee for the entry cards. Are we responsible to supply another 2 cards or should they pay for this expense?

Is the fee really worth asking about? You own the property, so own the cards so you can pass them on to the next tenant.

alexdown likes this.

They're no different to keys. We supply them at the beginning of the tenancy and the tenant must return or pay for them when they move out.

they have been given the one only card, is it not their responsibility to get more copies if they want?

I second @Elegiaque...it's what, 50hkd per card, really worth discussing about?

If you pay they're like keys and you can ask them back when tenancy ends.
    If they pay, they don't have to return them at the end of the tenancy so you'll have ppl who can enter the estate even if they're not resident... I believe the other residents/owners and/or the management company don't want that?

Quote Originally Posted by Beef:
    they have been given the one only card, is it not their responsibility to get more copies if they want?
    Imho that makes you look...cheap?

Just pay for the cards.
    Come on are you really that cheap??

ArrynField likes this.

As far as I know number of access cards ("Smart cards") are written in the tenancy contract.
    You are responsible for providing the agreed number of cards.

But seriously, it costs $50-100 per card. Let's just go for happy-happy ending.

Most developments allow for 4-5 entry cards.

If the tenant wants more than 1 card, that is entirely reasonable.

You probably have more than one card for yourself and your family. Just cancel the cards held by your family.

Last month my tenant was complaining the front door lock was not working properly. After using fingerprint sometimes it got stuck and didn't open fully, needed to use a key. So then I paid $4000 for a new Samsung smart lock.

Three months ago one of the aircons not cold enough. Paid for regas/servicing but didn't work. Apparently some leaks in the pipes etc. So then I paid $23k for a new Daikin aircon, ceiling had to be cracked open to lay new piping and then sealed back up, repainted. etc. Bambooo scaffolding had to go up outside. Yeah I was a bit pissed off with the cost but not the tenants fault and had to be done, in the end was less than a months rent, tenant arranged all the work for me and just took it out of that months rent.

You cheap bastard @Beef. Gotta keep the tenants happy, especially in a downward market.

Seriously... keycards...

I have to say that Hong Kong has also made me a very good UK landlord. As you say BDW, even the biggest expenses are only a month's rent, and are basically chump change compared to all the outgoings here.
    bdw likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast