Like Tree11Likes

Do I need to pay for a new kitchen tap?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Anywhere I have rented, and if it's been mentioned by friends renting, things like taps are regarded as plumbing fixtures, and have always been covered by the landlord.

If I'm the landlord and something like a tap or a showerhead needs repairing, I have borne the cost.

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    I mainly used faucet for clarification so I could respond with accuracy not to champion one language over another. I think you are bored on a Friday and choose to pick a fight on something so trivial. BTW anecdotal but most HK parents these days prefer their kids learn American English.
    It's fine to clarify, just be a bit more humble about the differences and accept both words are equal.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

Landlord should pay but if it means keeping a good relation, pay it or see if you can split the payment...

There are taps I have seen that cost 800 USD and more so they can get pretty pricey, I don't think 1000 is all that bad if it includes installation...

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Sorry, little side rant. Comments like this make me ashamed of/for Americans. Yes, other cultures/languages/geographical places use other English words for the same concept. Expand your vocabulary! Tap is not that difficult, and I think it is widely used in American English, "I'll have some tap water, please". Given you are on a HK forum, I would have thought you should have developed a sense of world Englishes and expanded vocabulary... If you made that same kind of comment about lift/elevator to a British person, my gosh they would slay you then and there...
    I would imagine it was pretty obvious to most that RMDNC just wanted to confirm that the OP meant what he knows as a faucet for clarity. Nothing more, nothing less. Funny how his polite question makes you shameful for all Americans and warrants that rant including accusing HIM of a lack of cultural acceptance! Did you miss the irony class when studying English at Oxford?
    RMDNC and Natfixit like this.