Like Tree10Likes

Family friendly neighborhood , working in Tsuen Wan

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Family friendly neighborhood , working in Tsuen Wan

Hi all, we are moving to HK in a few months and simultaneously searching for housing and an "affordable" secondary school for 2 kids.
    What might be a good neighborhood to consider? I don't mind if it's local or expat but our housing budget is around 30,000 to 35,000 a month.So far the schools I have shortlisted are spread out all over!!
    TIA

"Neighbourhoods" here tend not to work in the same way as they do in less densely populated places, but there are a couple of developments convenient to Tsuen Wan which would be likely candidates for your search: Park Island (Ma Wan) and HK Gold Coast. I'm not so familiar with the community vibe in Sham Tseng but that could be another possibility.
    I know there are also some what HK calls "villages" in the hills above Tsuen Wan where people are more likely to know and look out for eachother but again am not familiar with any of them - some villages here are very welcoming of outsiders while others are distinctly "anti."

Irishmum likes this.

Well maybe I should have said MTR stations instead of neighborhoods?! Anyway thanks for the advice. I will look up those suggestions

It is harder finding the school than finding housing, so the general advice tends to be to find school first, then see where the school is and, knowing work and school locations, select housing accordingly.

There are many people on this site (not me) who are knowledgeable about schools, besides affordability, can you give some more parameters?

Irishmum and jonastainine like this.

Yeah I'm sure it makes sense to find the school first, and I'm sure we will do that. But in terms'of parameters I am struggling a bit as I can't decide which curriculum type would suit my kids best. ( They will be returning to middle school in Korea) I only know we want an all through school eg. ESF, Invictus, KIS, AIS, HKAA etc so as they are all in different locations I'm not sure where we will live.

MABinPengChau likes this.

Ma Wan! Beautiful island location. Bus direct to Tsuen Wan - 15 mins. Lots of families love it there. Beach, swimming pools, parks. Also 25 mins to Central Hong Kong by ferry. A nice mix of expat with majority friendly local population. You get a nice spacious apartment with lovely Sea Views for 30/35K

Ma Wan has a nice local Primary School. Schools may be more of an issue if you want expat although I knew someone who travelled right across to Tuseng Kwan O for secondary school!

Kids could travel to Discovery Bay ESF school from Ma Wan. Bus to tsing Yi (10 mins) MTR to Sunny bay (5 mins) Bus to the school -15 mins. Practically with changes 40 mins travel depending on age of course.

Or do the full expat thing and move to Discovery Bay! Travel to Tsuen Wan from there is not too difficult Bus/MTR.

Last edited by Pauljoecoe; 16-01-2021 at 06:55 PM.
    Irishmum and MABinPengChau like this.

Ma Wan is very cheap for what you get. It’s very relaxed and much more pleasant than most suburbs in HK....And a good place for kids (no cars, mostly )

But it’s cheap for a reason. The ferry from there to Central takes 25mins, b.u.t the journey takes ...... 45+

If you’re communiting to Tsuen Wan however, a good choice.

Irishmum likes this.

Well yeah it does sound perfect for a commute to Tsuen Wan!! But it does seem quite far from all the secondary schools I'm considering. But I will definitely look it up!

I live on another island with no secondary school and the kids hop on the ferry and then grab a bus or MTR to school, even some primary school children as well...KIS is on HK island, doable from Park Island /Ma Wan

Oh wow I imagined it would be too far! Quite different from their 3 minute walk here!!

MABinPengChau likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast