Nice landlord

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Nice landlord

Our landlord has just notified us that he will be doubling the rent at the end of our tenent aggreement and will only be giving 3 month contracts.

How much notice is he required to give us?

What will happen if we just refuse to leave will the police be involved or will he have to apply to the Land Tribunal to have us evicted?

Thanks

Doubling rent in this climate? Is he really that stupid? I say move out and let the moron sit there with an empty apartment for 2 years and ZERO rental income.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Check the terms of your lease. When is it due to expire? Landlords can raise rents, matching increases in the market's prevailing rents (not the current case) before the end of a lease's tenor but have to apply to the Lands Tribunal to do so.

He isn't required to give you any notice at all if you have a fixed term tenancy. In the absence of any new agreement you need to leave at the end of the agreed term.

Last edited by PDLM; 08-12-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Best time to move and find a bigger house for a lesser rent

Our land lord is increasing our rent also . Even if he is not getting another tenant or buyer for his property he wants to leave the apartment empty rather letting us continue. Anyway he is an IB

I should have mentioned that this thread is on behalf of someone else living in the same block but I guest that the samething is going to happen to us.

Sounds to me that he wants everyone out so he can sell without existin tenants - or am I being cynical

Quote Originally Posted by KKinHK:
    Our landlord has just notified us that he will be doubling the rent at the end of our tenent aggreement and will only be giving 3 month contracts.

How much notice is he required to give us?

What will happen if we just refuse to leave will the police be involved or will he have to apply to the Land Tribunal to have us evicted?

Thanks
    The landlord definitely wants you out of the house. find a bigger place for cheaper rent as others have said.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    The landlord definitely wants you out of the house.
    To the OP, if this is the case, and your lease has some way to go, you could negotiate with the landlord to leave early at a price, i.e. he pays you to move out early.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast