Like Tree9Likes

Breaking lease due to medical emergency

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Breaking lease due to medical emergency

Hi! Due to a medical emergency, I need to break my lease. Is there anything I can do to recover the deposit? As well would I really be made to pay all the rent until
    the end of my contract? Thank you so much.

Last edited by Matty299; 16-04-2021 at 04:42 PM.

There is not much you can do unless you find another person to take over the lease and put in a deposit themselves.

Could ask the landlord for good will but this is Hong Kong, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Matty299:
    As well would I really be made to pay all the rent until
    the end of my contract?
    No ! But utility like internet and mobile contract specify that you pay for full tenure.

Break lease.

Can a landlord really sue for the remaining months of rent for a break lease?

I myself honestly have no money.

Hi! Due to a medical emergency, I need to break my lease. Is there anything I can do to recover the deposit? As well would I really be made to pay all the rent until
    HK contracts are 12 months fixed and 12 months additional with 1-2 months notice to break contract (after the 1st 12 months), are u in the 1st year or 2nd year of your contract??

to recover your deposit only your landlord can answer that.

If you need to leave HK dont even think of getting your deposit back if you're in the 1st year of the signed contract. Just inform Landlord you need to leave, tell them to keep the 2 months deposit and leave, they will not bother chasing you for the rest of rent, even if they say they will sue you, you can ignore and leave.

Cut your credit cards and close it to reduce on being charged full contracts for mobile / internet etc

Thanks for your reply. Could he somehow get it from
    my MPF? Thanks

Thanks for replying. I’m in my first year and I’ve told my landlord that I have no money to pay and I’m broke and that’s why I had to break lease. Could they really come after me? As well would they have access to my mpf? Thank you

What medical emergency?

Public hospitals in HK are basically free!

When are you flying home?

Thanks for replying. I’m in my first year and I’ve told my landlord that I have no money to pay and I’m broke and that’s why I had to break lease. Could they really come after me? As well would they have access to my mpf? Thank you
    Why did you tell him you are breaking the lease because you are broke when earlier you said it was a medical emergency?
    emx, traineeinvestor and blueagles like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Correct - MPF is protected on bankruptcy but ...

... distributions are not so anything paid out of an MPF scheme (e.g. withdrawal on leaving HK) is treated like any other asset.

Of course, I would be surprised if a landlord went so far as to seek bankruptcy over a few months of rent.
    shri and Mrs. Jones like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast