Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By chuckster007
  • 1 Post By Philips

My friend's Landlord lock her door

Closed Thread

Post My friend's Landlord lock her door

Hi everyone, may I seek some advice.

My friend lives in her room for about one year without any deposit. Now she can't pay yet the rent for this month. Now she have a lot of things inside, now the landlord lock her door. Is it like that? The landlord also have some issue in her life, interfering her life and visitors in her room.

does she have a signed n stamped agreement/contract for the room???

Nope

Legally then she is not living in that room, pay rent, grab stuff and move. What other advise is she looking for???

She could pay locksmith to break open the door but the LL can call the police and say she is trying to break into a property.

Beutiful Italy, where people don't know how to drive :)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Legally then she is not living in that room, pay rent, grab stuff and move. What other advise is she looking for???

She could pay locksmith to break open the door but the LL can call the police and say she is trying to break into a property.
    Wouldn't the landlord also go in trouble? She has illegally rented a room in her house.

She can call a locksmith, they can open the door without breaking it. Take all her stuff and move out (when the landlord is not at home )
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    They can't do anything. It's a commercial dispute. I've tried calling the police for commercial disputes before - they are useless. The friend needs to pay her rent. Simple as. Quite why people think they can just live rent free is a mystery to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    They can't do anything. It's a commercial dispute. I've tried calling the police for commercial disputes before - they are useless. The friend needs to pay her rent. Simple as. Quite why people think they can just live rent free is a mystery to me.
    The police are useless, but this more than a commercial dispute. Someone has taken her home, that’s a criminal matter. You don’t have to have a formal contract to have proof of a contract. WhatsApp chat logs and proof of payment etc may be enough....

After that, non payment is a commercial dispute....