Like Tree6Likes

The Legend - Recent buildings without optical fiber

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

OFCA search engine (there is a tiny check box which you need to click on at the bottom of the page to access the search)

https://app1.ofca.gov.hk/apps/ubs/index.asp#fibre

mysti, pin and tomrik like this.

So I checked more and they have the following:
    - pccw 30 mbit/s
    - icable at 200 mbit/s

So icable would be the only possible option for me.
    The only person I know who had icable before had it in 2016 and it was a terrible experience, not sure if it's better now. He told me that the rate was far below the advertised rate and that there was quite a bit of packet loss.

Anyone has any experience with this? Or should I just give up?

I presume by now you have checked with your management office? What did they suggest?

It's highly unlikely a Telco will feed an individual cable to you. If a provider hooks you up, it would be to the entire building or estate. Localised equipment will need to be placed, and this will require somewhere to store them (either common area or e.g. inside a meter room), not to mention electricity supply. All of the above will require authorisation from your management company, and you'll need to lay the bureaucratic groundwork first.

In all likelihood competing providers have already reached out but possibly being stonewalled by your management. I make this assumption based on your comment that other estates in the area are connected. You will need to confront management and find out.

Unfortunately ownership is not incorporated at The Legend (from what I can see), so you have no elected committee legally empowered to make this happen. Your management company is a subsidiary of the developer, and for whatever reason there might be some vested interests involved that prevent them from introducing fibre. Who knows.

HGC were very willing to come to us and hooked up our building of only 40-units for free. However our Incorporated Owners reached out; they didn't come to us.

Pester your management until they give you a satisfactory answer or explanation...

Similar story at my etstae - built by SHK, at 1st they only had packages of $400 for bband & now 2 years later they're offering 119 with free $400 coupons & a free Watsons water cooler for 1gb. I've been using just my 4g phone as a hot spot for the last 2 years but I'll prib sign up to this

I have icable 1Gbit fiber and love it.
    Paying $88/month for 3yr contract.
    Both upload and download are at full speed, I frequently use Google Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    I presume by now you have checked with your management office? What did they suggest?
    I actually hadn't signed the contract yet when I posted this, I was looking at apartments and decided to check before signing the rental contract

Since then, I've contacted the management office who redirected me to HGC that has 2.2gbps broadband despite not showing any coverage on their website. In the meantime though the landlord of the apartment I was looking at decided to not rent his apartment and instead focus on selling it so that kind of fell through.

But at least for the future, if anyone is wondering, there's broadband available, just don't trust the coverage information on the different ISPs websites.