Like Tree39Likes

Moving to Hong Kong soon, need some guidance :)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Talking Moving to Hong Kong soon, need some guidance :)

Hi Everyone!

I’ll be moving to Hong Kong before the end of this year, hopefully in October, and unfortunately my company will not be sponsoring my accommodation for the next few years. Was just wondering how the rental process is like? I’ve heard the agent commissions can be pretty high, is there anyway I can find good places to live without agents? Also what platforms do you guys like and recommend.

Always found moving hard, would love some helpful responses, thanks!

Norm: 2 months deposit and 1 months rent up front. 2 years with 1 year fixed. Second year either party can give one months notice at any time.

To avoid agent commission, need to rent directly from the landlord. Try some Facebook posts but do be careful of scams. Commission is usually 50% of one months rent.

krisjen likes this.

Spacious and OKAY.HK are the two platforms I use. Many listings are either fake or old and just being used as bait to get you to reach out to agents, so don't take them too literally but you can get a good idea of what's available within budget.

Direct owner listings on here and asiaxpat website are worth a look.

But when you first arrive just move into a serviced apartment or hotel until you get your bearings. It may actually work out cheaper to stay there longer term at least until more travel resumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    Norm: 2 months deposit and 1 months rent up front. 2 years with 1 year fixed. Second year either party can give one months notice at any time.

To avoid agent commission, need to rent directly from the landlord. Try some Facebook posts but do be careful of scams. Commission is usually 50% of one months rent.
    And keep in mind this is a LOT of money to need in up front. It can easily be several thousand Euros and you have not yet perhaps received your first pay check.
    krisjen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    And keep in mind this is a LOT of money to need in up front. It can easily be several thousand Euros and you have not yet perhaps received your first pay check.
    This. The blood flushed from my face when I had to write a check for three months worth of rent (first, last, and deposit) before I stepped foot into my apartment.
    Elegiaque and krisjen like this.

Also, some landlords might ask for rental proof like tax return. Kind of hard when you have just started work.

Your best bet would be to find a share flat in a nice apartment until you find your feet.

If not then you need to pay

3 months rental deposit
    50 percent commission to agent.
    electricity, water, gas deposit
    locksmith for changing locks
    internet contract
    furnishing your apartment. It all adds up.

shri and krisjen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    But when you first arrive just move into a serviced apartment or hotel until you get your bearings. It may actually work out cheaper to stay there longer term at least until more travel resumes.
    This. At present there are hotel and serviced apartment rates for 1 month + stays that are cheaper than comparable sizes of private flats. Even more of a bargain because you wouldn't need to shell out for utility bills, buying/ laundering linens for the duration. Just check whether or not you can do basic cooking and what (if any) cooking facilities are provided.

A lot of hotels are offering long term stay packages in HK, so you could use that to start with. That will give you a few months to adjust to HK and figure out which place suits better for office/commute etc. 28HSE is another one of the websites you can check for property listings. Some of them are from agents while others direct owner listings. The listings are based on location/area which will give you some idea on property rates etc. Best is to stay at hotel/serviced apartment initially and then decide on the rental arrangement.

https://www.28hse.com/en/

October is a few months away, but do keep in mind it's extremely unlikely HK will get rid of hotel quarantine this year. Or ever - who knows at this point. So, you'll have to make arrangements i.e. booking a hotel, working out with your employer whether they want you working remotely from quarantine, etc.

Also make sure to get tested before coming to HK. You don't want to get a positive at the airport & end up in Penny's Bay (Government quarantine centre). Not a fun introduction to HK.

z754103 likes this.

Also, October is one of the nicest weather months to move. Good luck.

krisjen likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast