Dealing with Agents

Closed Thread

Dealing with Agents

Hi everyone,

I am new to HK and have been reading a lot about renting in HK on this forum. Just wanted to seek some advice on how to avoid getting scammed by agents. What are some of the personal background/information I should be expecting to provide? I am trying to avoid the situation where they know too much about me and trying to take advantage. I would really appreciate it if anyone could share any advice on how to best deal with agents to get things favored your way.

Many thanks!!

What sort of area are you looking at and what sort of price range?

I suspect the issues are at the lower end of the rental market...

In general where you work and a business card should be enough to start. Some landlords might ask for a current employment letter / salary proof - most dont.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    What sort of area are you looking at and what sort of price range?

I suspect the issues are at the lower end of the rental market...

In general where you work and a business card should be enough to start. Some landlords might ask for a current employment letter / salary proof - most dont.
    I am looking at Hong Kong Island with a budget around 13k-17k. I haven't started working yet. Would you recommend me to wait until I officially started?

You can rent a service apartment on a monthly basis until you find the right place to live.

This is something I never understood in HK. Generally speaking, both the landlord and the tenant will pay for the agent's commission. So while, the agent is working for you, he/she is also working for the landlord. Back in Australia, the landlord pays the agent and the agent works in the interest of the landlord. This is clear and I know where I stand.

In HK, the agent wears both hats and I encountered some agents who would flat out refuse to put my offer to the landlord. They would play down my offer and tell me that they won't accept it and the landlord's lowest price is $xx. I walked away from a few of those. I think it is important to fend for yourself in HK. The agents are not working for you even though you pay them for their services. In fact, after they receive their commission, they won't want to know who you are. You will need to contact the landlord directly with any issues.

It's just something quite different from what I was used to.

But in terms of docs, they don't usually ask for anything until you're ready to put pen on paper. I just gave them a basic info like, I'm employed full time as a professional and my budget range + size expectations.

Even when you put pen to paper, it was just a HKID (in my case).

Tell the agent it's a conflict of interest and you blatantly refuse to pay them a commission. Wait to see if anyone will find you a property, continue to stay at hotel/service apartment whilst prices are still low.

It's the norm in HK for both the Landlord and Tenant to pay 50% of 1 month's rent each.

Once you agree terms, you sign the Preliminary Tenancy Agreement and pay 1 months rent upfront. If you fail to sign the Tenancy Agreement within the timeframe you forfeit the 1 month deposit.

Have a look at the following:-

https://www.clic.org.hk/en/topics/landlord_tenant

https://clic.org.hk/en/topics/landlo...sYouNeedToNote

https://www.clic.org.hk/en/topics/DI...ancy_agreement

On another note, the agent may ask you to use the same solicitor and ask you to share the solicitor fee to prepare the tenancy agreement. You could of course refuse to pay, employ your own solicitor, or go through the contracts yourself.

speaking on the side of the landlord, i'm sick of the agent here as well. They lies too much but they do too little for both parties (even we pay the commission). They are so unprofessional. They try to separate the landlord and the tenant, until they both sign the lousy contract (drafted by their conveniences) and then they disappear, and give each parties the details and deal with all the consequence.
    Every time they call me by phone said they are in an urgent to fill me up a nice tenant, without my consent they "help" me decide what i request in the contract and quickly tell the tenant to pay the deposit so as to lock in with the landlord.

I do think both tenant and landlord should be careful with those agent! I've to admit there are some good agent but you need to be really lucky and please do not sign or pay anything that you are not sure!!

related to the solicitor involvement, once i mentioned to the agent that the tenant need to sign the contracts in the solicitor office, the agent vanished...