Like Tree43Likes

Tenant hasn't paid rent for 2 months

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Did the tenant say why he isn't paying the rent or have you even asked for it?
    No he hasn't. He has been ignoring me and its been two months of rent that he hasn't paid now.

I have tried continually to get a hold of him and even asked the security guard to check where he is. He seems to have not been back in the apartment for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurs88:
    Is there a reason he has not paid rent ? What is the rental amount ? Could he be out of a job in which case may be you can ask for half NOW so you get some of your money and chase the rest ?

Are you a good landlord or are you the type who doesn't fix anything ?
    He gets a monthly salary from the government as he was an early retired civil servant due to injury.

He has been ignoring my messages and all attempts to contact him.

I haven't been requested to fix anything in the 1 year that I have rented to him, as the flat is brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    hasnt paid last two months rent, maybe he is deducting the overdue rent from the deposit and will move out?? maybe??
    That would be a best case scenario for me at this time!

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    First: If you want to recover the property you must file at the lands tribunal. If you file at small claims court you can only recover the outstanding rent, but can't make the tenant leave your property. Latest your tenant has to cough up the money without being kicked out is the day of the hearing. If he can pay the outstanding rent and your legal fees you won't be able to reposses your flat.
    The rental agreement we entered into has now only got a 1 month "notice period", as its been 1 year now.

If I give 1 months notice to him, will I be able to forceably kick him out and retrieve my property? Or will I still need to do that through the lands tribunal?

Quote Originally Posted by Giggsy:
    No he hasn't. He has been ignoring me and its been two months of rent that he hasn't paid now.

I have tried continually to get a hold of him and even asked the security guard to check where he is. He seems to have not been back in the apartment for weeks.
    Has he been found or seen by the security? Maybe hes ill or dead.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    People finding the deceased's body, days, weeks and even months after their deaths are not unheard of. Usually the deceased are been lonely people living by themselves. Their spouse may have passed away before they did or they were divorced and did not remarry. They may also have no close family member (or lost contact for whatever reason, estrangement, etc), their friends and relatives have either died or lost contact. So when they go, there isn't anyone aware of their passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggsy:
    The rental agreement we entered into has now only got a 1 month "notice period", as its been 1 year now.

If I give 1 months notice to him, will I be able to forceably kick him out and retrieve my property? Or will I still need to do that through the lands tribunal?
    You cannot kick your tenant out (for any reason) without going through the tribunal.
    tparker, Giggsy and redslert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    You cannot kick your tenant out (for any reason) without going through the tribunal.
    What a nightmare. So even after giving notice, he can still decide to stay without paying rent?

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    Well I hope thats not the case! Security said the last time they saw him he was leaving the building. He wouldn't have passed away in the apartment but who knows where he is now.

Maybe went to Shenzhen to avoid the HK covid. Don't know whether to laugh or cry lol

My understanding is that if you give one month's notice he has to leave. ( what my tenant did)

Since your civil servant tenant has to leave, you will need to rent it out.
    So you need an agent. You can ask an agent what is the situation by showing him a copy of the tenancy agreement and see what he says, and ask him to show you his company's standard clause to see if it better protects you. It's free advice.

arathi likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast