Like Tree28Likes

HK Property prices in the next 1 to 2 years

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think the answer to this question depends on whether the following assumptions on HK real estate are true and continue to be perceived as true:

1) HK is more attractive than China
    2) Interest rates stay persistently low in HK
    3) One Country, Two Systems
    4) Population growth / shortage of housing stock

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by seirin:
    I think the answer to this question depends on whether the following assumptions on HK real estate are true and continue to be perceived as true:

1) HK is more attractive than China
    2) Interest rates stay persistently low in HK
    3) One Country, Two Systems
    4) Population growth / shortage of housing stock
    HK more attractive than Mainland? Yes certainly true in some respects. But I am not sure if mainlanders see it that way. Interest rates...depends on what the US Fed does. 1C2S...well I think we all know the answer to that. Population growth...not from homegrown growth, HK is one of the fastest ageing society in the world, any growth would have to come from mainland migration. Which goes back to the first point, how appealing is HK to mainlanders?
    Winstonfung likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    HK more attractive than Mainland? Yes certainly true in some respects. But I am not sure if mainlanders see it that way. Interest rates...depends on what the US Fed does. 1C2S...well I think we all know the answer to that. Population growth...not from homegrown growth, HK is one of the fastest ageing society in the world, any growth would have to come from mainland migration. Which goes back to the first point, how appealing is HK to mainlanders?
    As much as I want HK real estate to crash and burn to $0, it will most likely move insignificantly.

Like others have mentioned, China can easily fill up the supply and demand if deemed necessary. I think China's agenda to the developers are to allow MORE mainlanders to enter HK. The reason for this is to dilute the HK culture/people and the yellow crowd. Easiest way to do this is just put already brainwashed citizens into the city.

Priced declined 0.15 per cent in August
    FFS
    https://www.scmp.com/business/articl...t-stock-market
    hike and traineeinvestor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK:
    FFS
    Rofl... Ring the bells.. holy shit. A drop of any magnitude is still a drop
    Coolboy and Andy SNK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    I also wonder this, and this is anecdotal for sure but recently meeting my mainland customers online, one declared she "would never set foot in HK again after what they did to China", her other colleagues all chimed in with agreement. Seems the propaganda did damage to HK as a preferred destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    I also wonder this, and this is anecdotal for sure but recently meeting my mainland customers online, one declared she "would never set foot in HK again after what they did to China", her other colleagues all chimed in with agreement. Seems the propaganda did damage to HK as a preferred destination.
    What did HK do to China?

Snarky and insulting remarks from mainlanders against HKers is not unusal in the last few years. Thing is though, does that really impact the net inflow of mainlanders to HK? People who move from the mainland may be different...

And conversely, if one reads the comments section of travel-focused blogs, you'll see a ton of US people saying stuff along the lines of "I loved HK - it was my favorite city in Asia but after what China did, I will look back fondly but never go again".

In the past, HK could play both sides. But, in the long run, middle men always get squeezed.

I'm not sure where HK real estate prices are headed but I am more confident that HK's heyday is in the rearview mirror.
    Gatts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    What did HK do to China?
    Daring to go against the CCP, forgetting they are Chinese, they all want independence, working with the CIA, be America's puppets,... or whatever the propaganda machine came up with at the time of the protests.