Like Tree22Likes

Places to rent along the Tung Chung line

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Too lazy to read the other posts. Caribbean Coast will get you that for your budget. There the E11A and E11S right down the building that stop in ICC, much more pleasant commute in my books.

I forgot what is the time range but during like 30 min in the morning you get like 7 of these buses running. The buses are super comfy and some of them even have USB plugs for your phone and wifi.

If you want to take the MTR you just get the coach downstairs that runs every 15 minutes.

Join the Caribbean Coast group on facebook you can find direct to landlord which makes you save on agent fees.

shri, undefined and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    If your boss expects you to work late, they will do so regardless of where you live. The main disadvantage of living in Tung Chung vs somewhere closer like Olympic is you will usually be the first person to leave social events (most likely on the island) to catch the last bus / train otherwise the taxi costs a fortune and the night busses are irregular.
    The E11A runs quite late (I think till midnight). And there are cheap taxi numbers that would charge you around 250 to get back from Wanchai. Never get a taxi directly which is when it costs you more.

There is a better sense of community here in Tung Chung than places like Olympic (which is boring as hell). After I moved here I did not want to spend time hanging around HK island or Kowloon. You can quickly make a group of friends here since people are more approachable.
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    The E11A runs quite late (I think till midnight). And there are cheap taxi numbers that would charge you around 250 to get back from Wanchai. Never get a taxi directly which is when it costs you more.

There is a better sense of community here in Tung Chung than places like Olympic (which is boring as hell). After I moved here I did not want to spend time hanging around HK island or Kowloon. You can quickly make a group of friends here since people are more approachable.
    How much for a 600 sq ft + apartment with club house and pool in Tung Chung? what about parking?

Also for those who mentioned Kai Tak - I had a look there but the new buildings there all look pretty pricey. Austin looks like an odd location to me, stranded between TST and Kowloon Station with not much really going on there.
    Coolboy likes this.

Just FYI, there are direct buses to west Kowloon toll plaza from Sai Ying pun and Sheung Wan. Csn commute within 30 mins door to door. Harder to find $15-17 in rent, but possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    How much for a 600 sq ft + apartment with club house and pool in Tung Chung? what about parking?

Also for those who mentioned Kai Tak - I had a look there but the new buildings there all look pretty pricey. Austin looks like an odd location to me, stranded between TST and Kowloon Station with not much really going on there.
    I used to pay 14k for the two bedroom flat unit et which is around 600 sqft with all facilities. Parking within the building is around 2.5 k from the ads I saw online.

I now have around 1000 sqft for 18.5k which is pretty good for HK. And airport view too. I know some people offering to pay the whole year upfront and they get good deals.

I think live in a smaller place in Central/midlevels for a year and then move out to Tung Chung. The reason is, I think you'll miss out on a lot of what living in HK is about. Tung Chung is a new town, which has its plusses, but you could be anywhere in the world.

I live in Tung Chung and prefer it, lots of space, parks, you can run, cycle and it has most stuff you want - including some nice restaurants now. I'd say the best thing is the access to hiking and beaches of Lantau whilst being on the mtr line.

Coolboy and Elegiaque like this.

Just looking at places on the MTR really limits your options. HK's buses are fantastic and almost all the freeway buses from many places stop at the Western Harbour crossing toll plaza, which is right outside ICC. Looking at freeway bus options will really open up your options (including from the island, although that's a bit of a longer walk into the building as you have to go over the footbridge).

I would wait until you get out of quarantine and go and visit these places in person. For example, once the links with the Mainland reopen, Tung Chung is absolutely inundated with mainland visitors who come on the bus over the bridge. I would hate to live there. So you may want to think more widely.

I live in Gold Coast, which may be a bit far for you, but has a resident bus to Olympic (one stop from Kowloon) in the morning (and a bus which stops at the toll plaza the rest of the day) and is a great, multicultural place with beaches and hiking and a lot fewer people in total than many other places. Just get out of quarantine, get on an MTR or bus and walk around these neighbourhoods. But do beware about where the mainlanders will come when they are alllowed back in soon.

undefined, Elegiaque and alexdown like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Just looking at places on the MTR really limits your options. HK's buses are fantastic and almost all the freeway buses from many places stop at the Western Harbour crossing toll plaza, which is right outside ICC. Looking at freeway bus options will really open up your options (including from the island, although that's a bit of a longer walk into the building as you have to go over the footbridge).

I would wait until you get out of quarantine and go and visit these places in person. For example, once the links with the Mainland reopen, Tung Chung is absolutely inundated with mainland visitors who come on the bus over the bridge. I would hate to live there. So you may want to think more widely.

I live in Gold Coast, which may be a bit far for you, but has a resident bus to Olympic (one stop from Kowloon) in the morning (and a bus which stops at the toll plaza the rest of the day) and is a great, multicultural place with beaches and hiking and a lot fewer people in total than many other places. Just get out of quarantine, get on an MTR or bus and walk around these neighbourhoods. But do beware about where the mainlanders will come when they are alllowed back in soon.
    This is a good suggestion. I ditched the bus option assuming the worst for traffic conditions, plus MTR seems to be more convenient. However, if there is a direct bus route from home to office, there is no harm in exploring that.

Original Post Deleted
    1. Close to nature preferable as long as it doesn't become inconvenient for basic needs.
    2. I would say a balance between location and apartment size. Definitely don't want to live in a s**t hole.
    3. Modern apartment for now. For settling in long term, I prefer a village house that I own myself. Probably not possible in this lifetime at least in HK

These freeway bus routes are really fast ways to travel, and absent an accident on the road don't tend to see much traffic at all. I used to love the 788 which gets all the way across the island in about 20 mins... way quicker than MTR especially when factoring fairly long walks within the MTR itself.