Like Tree6Likes

Living In Tuen Mun

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Living In Tuen Mun

I am planning to live in Tuen Mun when I return to Hong Kong, but I realize its alittle far, I remember when I was roommates with one of the locals when I was in UST, it took him almost 2 hours to get to Uni from Tuen Mun. My work place will be in TST most of the time, if I live in Tuen Mun how will the commuting be from Tuen Mun to TsT, is it really as far as people say it is?

Is the MTR as frequent, or is it like every 30minutes or so? Anyone who lives in Tuen Mun and commutes to TsT or Central let me know what it is like?

Last edited by HumphreyResort; 06-10-2021 at 12:03 PM.

Hi.

If you live close to Tuen Mun or Siu Hong MTR station then it is doable. Journey time is around 30 min to Tsim Sha Tsui East and train frequency is from 2-5 min.

HumphreyResort likes this.

I live in Yuen Long, which in my opinion is better than Tuen Mun! Takes me around 30 minutes to East TST station.

If you look on the map, Tuen Mun is definitely quite far, just like Yuen Long. Getting a taxi back can be costly, but for what you pay, you can get a bigger apartment in a quieter area of Hong Kong.

Skyhook likes this.

Tuen Mun's a big district! Depending on exactly where you live and exactly where you work in TST, you might find one of the express buses like 60X or 260X faster than the MTR commute - those buses head straight down the freeway, while Westrail makes a big question mark shape around the NT.
    Some commuters find "best fit" for them is catching an express bus to Mei Foo or Lai Chi Kok and then changing to MTR to avoid the worst of the traffic.

And I agree with Cegaiga that Yuen Long isn't a bad choice either (just steer clear of the triads ...).

shri and Drunken Master like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    I live in Yuen Long, which in my opinion is better than Tuen Mun! Takes me around 30 minutes to East TST station.

If you look on the map, Tuen Mun is definitely quite far, just like Yuen Long. Getting a taxi back can be costly, but for what you pay, you can get a bigger apartment in a quieter area of Hong Kong.
    I have to agree with you, having lived in both Yuen Long and Tuen Mun for a couple of years, I found Yuen Long by the Yuen Long Park in Ma Tin road, was much better than Tuen Mun/Gold Coast. Better connected and a bit grittier, which I prefer as its less attractive to your A - typical expat and more attractive to the adventurous Bohemiam types, who venture out that far and experience the real Hong Kong locally.

If you live in a village then it will be a different lifestyle and understanding of 'triad life' but I had no troubles with triads in Hong Kong.

To put in perspective, I live in YOHO which is right next to the station and mall. From out my door to the exit of TST, takes me about 30 - 35 minutes in total. Walk through the mall, aircon so no sweaty travels!

To Central can be a bit of a pain, since you need to transfer in Nam Cheong. 45 - 50 minutes (from YL). There are buses, but not my cup of tea!

shri likes this.

Tuen Mun might seem far out, but its fairly quick to get to Kowloon. Any particular reason for wanting to live there?

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    If you live in a village then it will be a different lifestyle and understanding of 'triad life' but I had no troubles with triads in Hong Kong.

To put in perspective, I live in YOHO which is right next to the station and mall. From out my door to the exit of TST, takes me about 30 - 35 minutes in total. Walk through the mall, aircon so no sweaty travels!

To Central can be a bit of a pain, since you need to transfer in Nam Cheong. 45 - 50 minutes (from YL). There are buses, but not my cup of tea!
    Lol yes its pretty spacious for the price you are paying and quieter area as well.

Original Post Deleted
    I lived on the opposite end as well Lohas Park more specifically. I liked that area it was quiet and nice as well. But I want to try living in Tuen Mun this time I heard from my local friends its also very nature like and close to the sea area as well. I am really not interested living on the island side, or near the clumped sides of red line.

I have to admit that Tuen Mun has "grown" on me over the past dozen years (first in the town centre and now in a village down Gold Coast way).
    The one thing I dread is the reopening of the border to day trippers from up north - Tuen Mun is a major terminus for cross border buses and after midday the entire town centre, right down to Yan Oi Market, was totally nuts - think Shatin New Town Plaza during peak hours except with more hard-sided luggage. Heaven help you if you wanted to go shopping in the evenings after the locusts had stripped the place of everything from dairy products to paracetamol. And weekends were worse.

Pro tip in case they do open the border again: take 140M minibus from Sam Shing to Tsing Yi, or 52X to Sham Tseng, for a more productive and less stressful grocery shopping experience.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast