Like Tree8Likes

Water seepage from external walls? How should the Testing be done?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Water seepage from external walls? How should the Testing be done?

I have an apartment, it is on the second level of a building. Neighbour says there's water seepage into his apartment (Apartment B). The leakage could be caused by water seepage from my apartment (Apartment A), but could also be caused by water seepage from the external walls.

Cracks (some bad ones) can be seen in the outer walls at the base level and top level of where our two adjacent apartments are located. My contractor said it is very likely rainwater (especially with the heavy black rain warnings we had a few weeks back) could go running into and down the cracks.

FEHD will come to conduct coloured water tests within Apartment A in the middle of this month to determine if the seepage into Apartment B is caused by Apartment A. FEHD said there could be a possibility that the dampness in Apartment B could be caused by a combination of a problem in Apartment A as well as water leakage from the external walls., but they are not responsible for testing the external walls.

The management informed me yesterday that they will be doing water testing of the external walls soon. They don't say how they will be doing the testing (I have asked but no reply). I get the impression (from some casual conversations) that they will just stand at ground level outside the external wall and point a hose upwards at the 2nd floor walls.

Is this the proper way? I would have thought the water pressure should be at a certain pressure level and directed directly at the cracks (or from above since water runs down) in order to do a proper testing?

Hope someone here can share some experiences. Thanks..

Isn't thermal imaging the usual first thing after looking for drips / damage

https://www.bdc.com.hk/load.php?link_id=118080

https://www.castco.com.hk/eng/our-se...-investigation

blandy62 and nopain like this.

This is one of the cracks as seen from my window. It is in the external wall of Apartment B..

Quote Originally Posted by nopain:

This is one of the cracks as seen from my window. It is in the external wall of Apartment B..
    So, theirs politics involved,

Building management are responsible for the maintenance of the external walls and would also be responsible for any damage that occurred to your apartment as a result of leakage to the external walls, therefore it’s strongly in their interest to find that the problem is not to do with the external walls, so unfortunately, you can’t trust them.

FEHD is the first port of call, but they have the power to escalate this, and in your case they should be doing so , to the Building Department who have the ability to conduct the type of thermal imaging tests that East Coast has referenced (through private contractors that they subcontract)

So speak to FEHD when they arrive and insist that this is escalated, it’s likely they’ll do it anyway, but you need to make sure.
    shri, Drunken Master and nopain like this.

Management is separate fromt the Incorporated Owner's Committee and and management can't do anything unless approved by the I.O.

So you should write an official letter to the I.O. requesting them to urgently find a proper "authorised person" to conduct test and to fix the outer wall.

May be the owner or resident of the the unit that has that BIG crack doesn't know about it so they should also inform them.

I.O. may be meets every few months so it will drag and take time to fix the exernal wall. You should focus on the external wall since that is the responsiblity of the the owners.

If you are the tenant, inform your owner. If you are the owner, then ask to see all the meeting minutes of all the I.O. meetings. You might find that it was a past problem or someone else has this problem.

nopain likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    The crack (and there are more at lower levels as well, this is one of the bigger ones) is at ceiling level of the apartment. Water flows downwards so there is a possibility that the leakages into his apartment could come from that crack.

How can we know the details of I.O?

If it’s not a constant trickle then chances are it’s the wall and not your pipe work. FEHD only check for possible leakage from your drains as this can cause health issues. Once they have established no leaks from your drains (shower, sink, toilet drainage) they will do nothing further.

We had a similar problem causing our internal plasterwork to bulge and flake. The MC sent a technician around who was able to confirm cracked or missing external concrete and eventually workers were sent around to remove the old external tiling, fill in the missing concrete, reattach new external tiling, and then replaster and paint our internal walls. It was their responsibility so the cost was theirs.

I had same issue but the management is saying they won’t pay for it and they are only paying for external walls. Don’t know how to raise and escalate this? Is it worth going through hassles? What was the cost like to recover the walls if someone has done it?

by the way

- FEHD only check drain pipes;

- typically the wall is a solid reinforced concrete wall finished with tile or render. reinforced concrete is not waterproof, if the reinforced concrete wall is not damaged, it will time for water to seep through the wall and appear inside;

- the external wall is typically owned / under the control of the Building Owner / IOC who may employ Building Manager, therefore the external wall is not the tenants or LL responsibility, building owner / IOC is wholly responsible;

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast