Like Tree28Likes

Sai Kung neighbor noise (The Mediterranean) - suggestions please

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurs88:
    Can you share this acoustic blanket please ? I am interested in something like this. I find the doors in the flat are paper thin.
    Sure! Sorry I should have done that, bit dopey (from weeks without sleep, needless to say, on top of NLD ... Normal Level of Dopiness).

The company are Huiaacoustics of Guangzhou, PRC - just across the border and where we used to live, actually.

huiacoustics.com

They replied to two queries amazingly promptly and in English. I've been dealing with Ms.Jane Qiu and think using the contact form on their web page would get you a response. I used Google Translate to append a Chinese version of my query as a courtesy, which I'm sure is appreciated. If one can private message on this forum I'd be happy to pass in her email address.

contact us form

The company make soundproof doors, panels and portable barriers. On their website I can't actually trace the product they suggested by email but I'll upload an image and the specifications that they emailed. It should appear someone in this post.

Size: Standard sizes are 1mx2m, 1mx2.1m and 1.2x2.3m. The size is customisable up to a massive 3mx5m, Jane said.

Weight: The blanket is 40mm thick and the weight is about 2.7 kg/m2. So for our (huge) apartment door roughly 10kg in weight but easily liftable.

Price: They have standard sizes, priced at 545 RMB /m2 or HKD $664/m2. For their 1.2x2.3m product that's about HKD $ 1,832. I'm not sure if there are any taxes on top of that, as yet.

Delivery: Delivery to Sai Kung is estimated at HKD 300 (they'd provide a better quote if we go ahead with the order, I asked for a guess only).

Sound blocking: Sound reduction is measured in decibels and despite a degree in physics I had to reacquaint myself with such, ha! A 10dB sound reduction = sound perceived as being 50% as loud. A 15dB reduction is perceived as roughly 40% as loud and a 20dB reduction about 25% as loud. (Anyone jump in and correct me, please.)

The blanket offers "sound blocking 15-25dB" so as a minimum should reduce the noise to 40% as loud. Bear in mind the blocking depends on the frequency of the sound. I don't know how effective it would be at blocking a door slam. It also depends on a close fitting with no gaps, ideally.

For our needs - to cover a door - we would have to construct a wooden frame to hold it over the door at night, and of course hold without gaps around he edges. I'm still working this out - trip to Apliu Street to buy more tools maybe :-)

If go ahead and get one of these I'll post an update. Oh, on the thickness of the doors - yes it's a huge factor. An acoustic door sealing kit (round the edges) would be good, I believe, but 50% of the sound or more may be coming through the door. One could "do the math" but this suggests that an acoustic sealing kit may need an ally in the form of a bl**dy great sound-absorbing blanket!

wow...is it super expensive ? I was going to buy acoustic tiles from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Soun...s%2C393&sr=8-7

I think I am going to buy the soundproof panels from amazon first...loads available...and you can read the reviews...and just stick it on the back of the door.

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurs88:
    I think I am going to buy the soundproof panels from amazon first...loads available...and you can read the reviews...and just stick it on the back of the door.
    Hmm, if I may, I'd be just a little cautious here. These panels might work and I certainly hope so, but from what I've read this kind of material is good for reducing echos and sounds within a room but is significantly less effective at blocking sound coming from outside a room.

(The Mediterranean in Sai Kung is one giant echo chamber too, though. Wonder if I'd get a bulk discount if Amazon filled a container ship or two?)

That said, if they work do let me know :-) For us they might damage the door and we rent, whereas if I build a wooden frame / sound blanket it's just patching up the screw holes in the wall, same as fixing holes after curtain rail removal. Plus I'd get to use my hammer drill ...

Could try these. Work much better and more comfortable than the ones usually available in HK. Cheaper than insulation.

https://www.ohropax.de/en/products/ohropax-classic

duncan67 likes this.

I will buy some and stick it on my main door to see if I can block out the slamming door from outside and the screaming kids.

I will stick it with 3M doubsided tape..just a bit on each corner. Will see if it works. The thick curtain is a bit unsightly... mine slams two times a day so not that bad.

F

Quote Originally Posted by duncan67:
    Hmm, if I may, I'd be just a little cautious here. These panels might work and I certainly hope so, but from what I've read this kind of material is good for reducing echos and sounds within a room but is significantly less effective at blocking sound coming from outside a room.

(The Mediterranean in Sai Kung is one giant echo chamber too, though. Wonder if I'd get a bulk discount if Amazon filled a container ship or two?)

That said, if they work do let me know :-) For us they might damage the door and we rent, whereas if I build a wooden frame / sound blanket it's just patching up the screw holes in the wall, same as fixing holes after curtain rail removal. Plus I'd get to use my hammer drill ...
    I don't so soundproofing work per-se, but I have dabbled. I installed a 'sound proof door' at the end of the corridor that leads from the front of my flat (kitchen, living/dining) to the back of the flat (Living room 2, bathroom, bedrooms).

It's essentially an exterior patio door (double glazed, 90% glass), without the floor frame and instead, high density rubber foam compression strips pressing into the floor, which makes it pretty friction-laden to open and close, but effective, both against neighbours noise and our own.

So this was all a very long way of saying, yeah I agree, I have some experience in implementing solutions and yeah, I don't think backing the door with 'egg box foam' will work very well.

The shape disrupts sound waves, similar to how those irregular sea defence bollards break up waves in water.

So.....put it on the outside of your door and you'll get a better result (and take space from the crappy corridor, rather than your flat.)

It would have the added bonus of rendering knocking on your door by the Pennys Bay Gestapo completely useless.

Win, Win, Win.
    duncan67 likes this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5