Like Tree37Likes

Flying out soon and landlord hinted at keeping entire deposit

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by gavin_hk:
    Cool as mine has 2 months deposit and 1 months rent in advance which i dont want to leave to chance though she knows my place of work so the excuse of i lost my job wont wash but perhaps ill say my wife and i cant afford me meet my payments etc.

Thanks Guys good to know legally she cant touch me until i go , i have no intention of leaving her a mess and will try civilly but want to protect myself , can she just change locks on the doors ?
    Same boat, right now our LL is stealing the gov electricity subsidy as since the solar panel installation the bills in their name. We've decided to withhold last 2 months when we leave as we trust them as much as we trust borders will open here by summer.

If the landlord is hinting at keeping the entire deposit for no reason, then tell him that you will have decided to stay in Hk and that you want to have your deposit back and hand back the keys at the same time after you have both inspected the flat.

VillanElle likes this.

He's trying it on and you're not in a strong position.

I'll say it again: NEVER pay the last 1-2 months rent, even if the landlord seems like a saint. Tell the landlord you have gone bankrupt and s/he needs to take from deposit.

I learned my lesson after getting screwed on my second rental here. Never again.

Any inconvenience you may cause an honest landlord is hugely outweighed by the actions of their unscrupulous peers.

Can the landlord start an action though the small claims court for non-payment?

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Can the landlord start an action though the small claims court for non-payment?
    That would take more than two months. When we were leaving Hong Kong we also witheld the last two months of rent (knowing the pain in the ass landlord we had). They screamed, said they would hire lawyer, go to small claims court etcetc…. as with most things … a lot of air, no substance.
    Sage likes this.

So the law is pro-landlord, but behavioral activities is pro-tenant.. then that fairly much evens it out.. i.e. if you manage properly you can usually get away with being unfairly charged the deposits...

OR let someone else live there for a discounted price!

& i've heard LL can't just kick anyone out

hike likes this.