Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Sage

Informal lease for sublet?

Informal lease for sublet?

A friend of a friend has offered me their apartment to rent while they are away overseas for several months. They are leasing the apartment and therefore I would be subletting from them. They want me to pay one months rent as a deposit and then pay rent month by month.

I'm just wondering how I can cover myself to ensure they don't run off with my deposit, or if there is some major damage that I don't get screwed over. I assume this kind of arrangement isn't completely legal but if I write up some kind of simple contract is that something that can help me to recover the deposit in case of problems?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zedbran:
    A friend of a friend has offered me their apartment to rent while they are away overseas for several months. They are leasing the apartment and therefore I would be subletting from them. They want me to pay one months rent as a deposit and then pay rent month by month.

I'm just wondering how I can cover myself to ensure they don't run off with my deposit, or if there is some major damage that I don't get screwed over. I assume this kind of arrangement isn't completely legal but if I write up some kind of simple contract is that something that can help me to recover the deposit in case of problems?

thanks!
    I would:

1) detail your arrangement in whatsapp
    2) Make sure you see his tenancy contract to be sure of the term of his lease.
    3) Pay 1 month deposit
    4) when you're gonna move out, don't pay the last month's rent so you're quits, but ensure you cover/repair any damage you do.
    aw451, hike and zedbran like this.