Like Tree3Likes

Moving to Sai Kung

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to Sai Kung

Folks,

Missus and I are planning to buy an apartment in Sai Kung. Thinking between Park Mediterranean (avoids sai kung town and no sign of construction in the neighbourhood) and Mediterranean (amazing space and great views save the potential construction site)

Working times for us are flexible. Missus doesn't go to office all the time and works in Kwun Tong. In normal times she would be travelling out of HK for wor (distance from airport is not a problem).

I work in Sheung Wan. I hear that traffic is okay after 8am (can anybody confirm) and I can start work at 9 30am or 10am. I would drive to Hang hau and take mtr. I already have a car and am familar with the route and TKO area.

No kids, no pets. We love quiet and enjoy more down to earth neighbourhoods with non huge buildings (currently live at the Papillons in TKO).

Usually people would consider hobbies etc, but chilling at home is a major hobby for me along with going of runs, cycling and just visiting country parks for short walks (not the hiking type).

Any thoughts and experience especially on the traffic would be appreciated? Right now with COVID, Sai Kung seems great as it is so quiet even around town but I know this is not the reality always.

Cheers in advance!

I used to live near Sai Kung Town Center a few years back.
    Travelled towards Hang hau on a daily basis in the morning time.
    Traffic is horrible 7am-8am, but still very bad (to my standard) after 8am.
    Especially a lot of the road is still 1 lane each side. If there are traffic accidents (which was quite frequent), you are easily stuck in traffic for 20-30 minutes.

If traffic is a concern... my honest suggestion is don't.

JAherbert and VillanElle like this.

Traffic is easier in the morning these days with Covid but one road out one road in even with the road widening going on means one minor nudge and for no explicable reason you sit where you are call the police and needlessly hold up traffic for ages. Someone needs to change this monstrosity of a process.

with the new lines and a quick check on traffic beforehand it’s not unreasonable to do the journey from Wu Kai Sha instead on the odd day I f you see the traffic blocked to Hang Hau (even better when the Sha Tin link finishes).

And of course if you have a car you head in the opposite direction at weekends if you need a day out.

Yeah dont buy property in an area you are not sure you will like to live in. Rent first, you like it, great then buy.

How about living in Shek O?

This is solid advice except I am looking at properties which are under the bank valuations. I am familar with the area because I do live in the same big district. I can handle more boring/more quiet. What i am looking to ensure is there is no unwanted business. I have heard about the traffic to hang hau and hoping its something i can work around.

Shek O has been considered.my osteo lives there and says it is great. However travel times seem further from what i can see (my osteo has a bike). I have also grown used to the TKO area and don't want to move far from here.

Thats great to know. What about before COVId? How is traffic post 08 30am?

Kind regards,

Quote Originally Posted by OrganicDancer:
    .......have heard about the traffic to hang hau and hoping its something i can work around.....
    no work around for rush hour traffic, it was appalling.
    another issue to consider, any EV charging provided?

I was hoping to work around by leaving after 8 30 am in the morning.

EV charnging I think you can charge it if you rent or buy a car in the basement!

I lived along the main drag for more than a decade, traffic steadily getting worse. I foresee, with those tiny sections of two lane highway, even more traffic, verging on unbearable during the weekend unless you travel at off peak times.

Quote Originally Posted by OrganicDancer:
    Thats great to know. What about before COVId? How is traffic post 08 30am?

Kind regards,
    cant help you there. I was always on a bus by 645am!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast