Like Tree32Likes

How do I make sure landlord pays full deposit back

Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,653
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]:
    Hi,

    I personally feel you should honour the contract and if incase you feel that the landlord is not being fair then don't hand over the keys till the time you get back your deposit.From my personal experience the white sticky at the back of the hooks is literally impossible to remove. So, would suggest you to let him know about it.
    It's literally not impossible at all. It's literally very very possible. The only issue will be the amount of paint/plaster you take off at the same time - But that's nothing that a bit of plaster/paint can't fix.

    As for costing a few hundred bucks @Gollygordon, good luck getting anybody to come to your home for an hour or two for "a few hundred bucks" but it should for sure be significantly cheaper than the amount your landlord will probably attempt to deduct from the deposit.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by VarshaG:
    Hey guys!

    I will be moving out of my current flat soon, been here for more than 3.5 years now. I have stuck a few hooks here and there in the flat which I am trying to peel out but many of those hooks are not coming off. I am wondering if my landlord would deduct my deposit if I keep those sticky hooks on?

    Or is there an easy way of getting it all off? I am really nervous about losing chunks of my deposits in case the landlord thinks I shouldnt have done the hook sticky in the first place…
    It's just a few hooks and it's easy to fix. They won't charge you for that. Even if they do, you won't lose most of your deposits.
    Besides, you have been renting the flat for 3.5 years! It's not a short time.The landlord should thank you instead because they didn't need to look for a new tenant in the last 3.5 years. Think about how much money they have saved...
    traineeinvestor likes this.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    It's literally not impossible at all. It's literally very very possible. The only issue will be the amount of paint/plaster you take off at the same time - But that's nothing that a bit of plaster/paint can't fix.

    As for costing a few hundred bucks @Gollygordon, good luck getting anybody to come to your home for an hour or two for "a few hundred bucks" but it should for sure be significantly cheaper than the amount your landlord will probably attempt to deduct from the deposit.
    Dunno sir. Labour is very cheap in HK and this is a low skill job. Never cost me more than 500 even when we had a few rooms to do. This is just using local guys from the village etc, yeah I'd you use a pro firm they will over charge.

    Can dig out a number if you need, lol
    TheBrit likes this.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Gollygordon:
    Dunno sir. Labour is very cheap in HK and this is a low skill job. Never cost me more than 500 even when we had a few rooms to do. This is just using local guys from the village etc, yeah I'd you use a pro firm they will over charge.

    Can dig out a number if you need, lol
    Yep, we did not ever pay more than 500 bucks for a plumber, locksmith or handyman. Usually that would even include parts/materials though I think the new lock barrel was an extra 300.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,653
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Yep, we did not ever pay more than 500 bucks for a plumber, locksmith or handyman. Usually that would even include parts/materials though I think the new lock barrel was an extra 300.
    Talking in the past tense, a guaranteed sign that you're bang-outta-date.

  6. #26

    Mine was a few hundred in 2021...


  7. #27

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Gollygordon:
    Mine was a few hundred in 2021...
    Maybe he doesn’t know the local market so well and pays expat prices. Our building staff always helped out with contacts for local handymen which seemed to work well.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Gollygordon:
    Mine was a few hundred in 2021...
    $500 For no skilled, no English, guys in the new territories, last year, yes possible.

    $300, For someone you’ve never used before, in 2022, anywhere in the SAR, no totally unrealistic.

Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3