Like Tree32Likes

How do I make sure landlord pays full deposit back

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hey guys!

I will be moving out of my current flat soon, been here for more than 3.5 years now. I have stuck a few hooks here and there in the flat which I am trying to peel out but many of those hooks are not coming off. I am wondering if my landlord would deduct my deposit if I keep those sticky hooks on?

Or is there an easy way of getting it all off? I am really nervous about losing chunks of my deposits in case the landlord thinks I shouldnt have done the hook sticky in the first place…

You tell the landlord you will be giving him the keys in exchange for a cashier's check over the deposit amount. No cashier's check = no keys.

Tell the owner that the owner should deduct the rental amount for the last two months from your deposit.

I never, ever, paid the last two months other than through deposit. Will owner kick up a fuss? Yes, but all empty noise.

Drunken Master and Morrison like this.

Let's be fair here, one of the main ideas of the deposit is that in case the flat isn't handed back in the status as stipulated by the contract, the landlord can deduct the costs for repairs necessary to bring it back into that very state. And this is a potential scenario that the OP describes here.

I am a tenant myself and also had occasions in the past where I had to deal with greedy and unreasonable landlords. But let's be fair to each other and honour contracts. And if we are really objective, what the OP is suggesting, sounds like something not totally fair on their side: They are seeing themselves unable to get the flat into the contractually agreed state, but still expect to get the deposit back in full. Might work out, but if it was vice versa (they return flat in perfect state, and landlord would deduct part of deposit on unjustified reason), they would also not be OK with it.

Quote Originally Posted by VarshaG:
    By making sure you take care of the place as you would your own...

Quote Originally Posted by VarshaG:
    Or is there an easy way of getting it all off?
    Not if it's those padded sticky white hooks. Try 1. Flat scraper tool (see pic), 2. Glue removal solutions (meh effect) and 3. High heat (just leave a hairdryer on, takes a v v long time).

1 and 2 available at most household stores or AEON ($12).

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1610
Size:  8.2 KB

If your LL is easy-going, they will overlook it. But still, don't be an inconsiderate shithead and just take off - you wouldn't be happy if something you loaned out came back with sticky marks/half torn off hooks and an unapologetic shrug. If you can't get it off, it means the LL can't get it off without spending $ to make it pretty again. Landlords/Car rentals hold the deposit precisely for these situations.

Let the LL or their agent come have a look at the apartment, once its been inspected, if they say this and that needs to be fixed, negotiate and come to an agreement of how much to deduct. write it down and get it signed by both parties.

NEVER HAND OVER KEYS UNTIL YOU GET YOUR DEPOSIT BACK!!!!!!! DO NOT TRUST THE BS THAT THEY PROMISE TO TRANSFER THE MONEY TO YOU LATER BLAH BLAH BLAH SHITE!!!!

JAherbert and Drunken Master like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Let the LL or their agent come have a look at the apartment, once its been inspected, if they say this and that needs to be fixed, negotiate and come to an agreement of how much to deduct. write it down and get it signed by both parties.

NEVER HAND OVER KEYS UNTIL YOU GET YOUR DEPOSIT BACK!!!!!!! DO NOT TRUST THE BS THAT THEY PROMISE TO TRANSFER THE MONEY TO YOU LATER BLAH BLAH BLAH SHITE!!!!
    second that.
    and don't leave it until the very last day of the lease

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    You tell the landlord you will be giving him the keys in exchange for a cashier's check over the deposit amount. No cashier's check = no keys.
    The tenant needs to fully move out before the landlord can do an inspection to confirm there is no damage - unethical tenants have an amazing ability to hide damage behind their carefully positioned packing crates and furniture. This is why the lease will always say that the deposit must be returned X days after the end of the lease.

Also, if you have moved out and the lease has ended, withholding the keys is an empty threat - the landlord can simply change the locks (and deduct the cost from your deposit).

As DanielFRA points out - it's a two way relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    Also, if you have moved out and the lease has ended, withholding the keys is an empty threat - the landlord can simply change the locks (and deduct the cost from your deposit)
    How is the landlord going to be sure the tenant has moved out before illegally entering the property by changing locks?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    How is the landlord going to be sure the tenant has moved out before illegally entering the property by changing locks?
    If the tenant wishes to be difficult and refuses to return the property to the landlord at the end of the tenancy, they continue to be liable to pay rent until they do. There's plenty of case law on this point.
    Giggsy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast