Questions About Serviced Apartments

Closed Thread

Questions About Serviced Apartments

I am currently staying in Shama Serviced Apt in TST but my company is moving me here for a longer stay (1 year) and housing is going to be up to me.

I have decided to stay in a serviced apartment with the logic that furnishing an apartment for a 1 year stay doesn't make sense since I would have to sell or ship all the items once I leave.

I have been looking at Excellent Court which seems nice. Excellent Court - Hostel, Suite, Apartment, Guest-house, Accommodation, Service apartment, Hotel, Property

It is a tad beyond my limit of 15k a month but I think I can manage. Which brings up my questions. If I am planning on moving in on Feb 1st should I be booking now or is that too early or late? Will prices on serviced apartments drop significantly in the next month?

Also does anyone know the Excellent Court or live there currently and have some opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by htothek:
    It is a tad beyond my limit of 15k a month but I think I can manage.
    I posted this up for another thread but I reckon it quite good. Check it out.

go for www.horizonhotels.com.hk
    HK$9990 up for a 2 bedroom hotel suites, 270-degree panoramic veiw of the harbour.

This is in TST, much closer to nightlife, this place has club house as well. For your budget this might be good for you. they have two property, 1 is Harbourfront Horizon and the 2nd one is Harbourview Horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    I posted this up for another thread but I reckon it quite good. Check it out.

go for www.horizonhotels.com.hk
    HK$9990 up for a 2 bedroom hotel suites, 270-degree panoramic veiw of the harbour.

This is in TST, much closer to nightlife, this place has club house as well. For your budget this might be good for you. they have two property, 1 is Harbourfront Horizon and the 2nd one is Harbourview Horizon.
    Thanks for the info. I actually looked at them but passed because the advertised price seems to be off by about 5000hkd once you talk to them. Add to that the fact that internet, maid service, etc is not included and the price quickly gets way higher than other places.

Thanks for the info. I actually looked at them but passed because the advertised price seems to be off by about 5000hkd once you talk to them. Add to that the fact that internet, maid service, etc is not included and the price quickly gets way higher than other places.
    That's what we discovered when we first moved here. They might have units priced that low, but none of them are available. And maid service was included, but at a higher price.

Also does anyone know the Excellent Court or live there currently and have some opinions?
    Excellent Court is actually in Yau Ma Tei, 3 minutes walk from the Jordan MTR station.

I checked it out in January. It's a very pleasant and bright place especially the higher floors with a view towards King's Park. Lots of good 'local' food in the area and convenient to go to TST.

I ended up staying in Wan Chai so that I can be closer to work but paid a lot more for something comparable.

I stayed at Excellent Court for my first three months here in HK.

It was "okay"; I had problems with internet connection(s), and that was never resolved for some reason. That soured me a bit.

The people working there are fine, and the cleaners do a good job. No problems with security, fixtures, furniture, plumbing, etc.

The quick walk to Jordan MTR was easy. A decent local restaurant directly across the street.

good luck!

The rental drops dramatically, I believe you can find a lots flat with furnished and way below 15K/month. However, if you still prefer Serviced ap. you should bargain with them. The listing price only for reference.

Thanks for the replies folks!

How much do you think I can haggle off the price of a serviced apartment? 10% or so?

From talking to colleagues here in HK it seems that a lot of expats are leaving the area due to cutbacks in their offices. I would think that would mean discount time for serviced apartments but maybe I am dreaming.

I would say 20% at least. The trend of rental in HK is stepping down especially in coming year. However, it really depends if the demanding is still high in Serviced Apt.
    I rent a flat with contract. Last month I get 20% off from landlord.
    Some of my friends even get 30%.
    Though, serviced apt. is very business oriented.
    It would be no harm to give it a try. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies folks!

How much do you think I can haggle off the price of a serviced apartment? 10% or so?
    The only reasons that I signed a 3-month agreement at Excellent Court was that I received a discount for that length of time...and that it was very convenient for me! I didn't have the luxury of having weeks to spend searching around the city in order to save a few thousand dollars.

good luck.