Like Tree33Likes

Where to live if working in Tung Chung?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

If you don't mind flat sharing then you can find a 2 bed apartment in one of the condos in Tung Chung for around 15K and with a flat share you will be under 8K. If you are looking to save costs then avoid the newer condos - Century Link and Visionary. Check the local Facebook pages - you should find a flat share. I think there are very few 1 Bed apartments except for in Century Link. Am recommending Condos but if you don't mind public estates then you can look at Yat Tung or Fu Tung. Not aware if renting those units is possible and the procedure - better check with an agent or with others on the forum.
    There is a bus which goes from that part of Tung Chung to Yat Tung and you can walk from Yat Tung to your work place. You could bike from Tung Chung North side (where all the condos are) to your work if you don't mind the summer sweat.
    If you like going to the Island to meet friends then I would recommend Tung Chung or Mui Wo (since it has a ferry). Else you are looking at a very long weekend commute from the other villages to Island/Kowloon

Fused likes this.

Whatever you do, do not, not, NOT sign a lease on a place from overseas. Altogether too much of the photoshopping and other false advertising online, not to mention that you can't get any idea of noise levels, smells or local animal life (ranging from mosquitoes and cockroaches up to wild boar in some village areas).

I agree totally with the posters who have suggested getting yourself a serviced apartment/ airbnb for a month or two and get the lie of the land. Unlike some places, once you decide to rent a place in HK you can usually get the keys within a week.

Fused and Sage like this.

Agreed big call out to Sage for the practical Serviced Apartment suggestion. It’ll cost more in the short term but allow you the benefit of time.

as for property agents like anything there are good bad and ugly. I worked on the basis of providing them with my requirements and making it abundantly clear that if they were spectacularly wide of the mark they would be off the list. The good ones were very good, the bad ones just a minor annoyance. I’m sure you’re aware that you’re better off seeing agencies in person rather than going through the online equivalent of click bait.

Fused likes this.

I moved to Tung Chung a few years ago and found it a great place to live. Should be plenty of rentals in Tung Chung at the moment as many aviators have left. Contact any property agent about renting and they will show you some available apartments. Good starting point.

ByeByeEngland, blueagles and Fused like this.

Per above... lots of empty apartments in Tung Chung now, so definitely look around first. This would be most convenient for your work. I don't have much to add.

Since some have thrown around the S. Lantau idea and its transport... weekdays west of Cheung Sha are fine (#11 bus manageable), but boarding mid-route on a weekend is near impossible. Weekdays east of Cheung Sha (e.g. Pui O) can similarly be difficult, but extra #3M busses are laid on at peak hours. The situation is definitely better than for #11 bus.

To that end I'd personally suggest Mui Wo instead. You can find some small studio apartments for under $10K. Bus terminus is here so getting a seat never a problem. Proximity to ferry pier is a bonus if heading to Central / TST.

Very different lifestyle, so know what to expect on S. Lantau vs. Tung Chung.

Note the big agencies don't have coverage in the south. For properties here, Google Proper Trip, Findley Leung, Home Solutions, or Four Seasons Lantau... those listings are accurate; unlike the fake ones you see on major property sites for rest of HK.

ByeByeEngland and Fused like this.

But note Mui Wo to Tung Chung by bus is 45 mins. Not exactly a quick commute. And not for those who get car sick. It goes up and over a mountain pass.

Getting a car is a terrible suggestion, especially for someone on a budget.

Cheeky Kiwi, Fused and tparker like this.