Like Tree7Likes

Landlord won't investigate aircon issue

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm confused why the sound only happens at night.

My landlord is worst, he is not fixing my broken bathroom door since last 2 years.

He don't even telling me his address to sent the registered mail and also not telling his email.

All I have is phone number/whatsapp.

Can't record conversation as he don't understand English.

Original Post Deleted
    Last edited by LetsDiscuss; 04-07-2022 at 10:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I'm confused why the sound only happens at night.
    I want to say because that is the only time of day the tenant is home to hear it but i'd be reaching.

Very slim chance you can get the repairing expense back from the way they responded. A pair of earpluggs might sound a better off plan for the time being.

BTW, any chance its dripping water from above floors, I had similar experience b4.

Some experience with A/Cs.
    Share your audio recording of the noise.

Original Post Deleted
    In general I would agree with this approach, if there was an obvious defect and landlord was being an arsehole, then go ahead and withhold the rent payments. But in this case, air is coming out of the aircon cold, which is the main purpose of aircon. It just happens to make more noise than a white noise generator, and only at night time (day time is OK). So then for me I can not see a clear cut defect here and I think this requires some expert onsite analysis.

Original Post Deleted
    IRL it doesn't work like in the internet.
    Your landlord holds 2 months of your deposit. If you want it back you need to show evidence that the issue is legit and winnable in court.
    Last edited by mpbk; 04-07-2022 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Typo

Original Post Deleted
    Typical tough internet warrior.
    It's explicitly written in the contract that the deposit can't be used for rent payment purposes. The minute you miss your rent for that month that's evidence of loss. Landlord can initiate proceedings for eviction.
    If your careless stance is because you're leaving HK anyways, do you want to miss your plane (because you'll need to show up in court)? Either way you'll never see your deposit again.

sounds like you have more to lose than your LL. Perhaps think about it this way: you dealt directly with the LL for your lease, and didnt check the A/Cs/applicances when you moved in, then perhaps consider that a lesson learned. since you saved on the commission to the agent you can use some of that to an inspection/cleaning of the A/C as suggested above. Or suggest to your LL you'd meet them halfway and share the costs of the clean.

Stuff like this is why I moved to a building with a corporate LL managed by a management company...you 'generally' pay a bit more each month but it saves so much stress on the small stuff. I consider that a lesson learned from my first lease when my LL would replace all the 'whirlpool' appliances that broke down with 'fortress' brand appliances that never worked as well! :-)

Original Post Deleted
    That is ridiculous.
    By your logic you can also break any law you want. Just don't get caught. LOL