Like Tree34Likes

Village Rentals - What to look out for?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I would rather not live in a village, but if I had to I'd also rather a place where the triad activity isn't too disruptive and people are generally cooperative with outsiders. About 50% of people I know who have lived in village homes have a horror story to tell.

I’d go for somewhere which at least has property management ie. security guards and other staff who can sort out your issues with neighbours/communal areas/noise

Really wouldn’t recommend living in a village house as an expat unless you are determined to own a car and need somewhere reasonably priced to park it or really don’t wanna live in the city

Quote Originally Posted by life in hk:
    Does it matter how the property is inside then?
    It does.
    Kitchen with cabinets, gas stove, that is not too cramped. Split aircon unit (NOT the ugly noisy windows-installed ones). Built in wardrobes. This will be on my requirements list.

Also, overall shabbiness of the interior. Quality of renovation (tiles, floors, windows) is on average awful in HK, so it helps if some attention has been paid to a bit of tidy up, e.g. walls painted, toilet tiles not broken, light fixtures that don't look like they've been fished from a dumpster...all way too common in HK rental units.

If it's a village house, ability to use the rooftop.
    life in hk and shri like this.

Still need to understand your budget, work and the maximum length of time you are prepared to travel.

Soundproofing like double glazing? From what i remember windows are single glazed. Quote me if i am wrong.

You will be please too know, no triad activity or horror stories at the location of this 3 storey house. Close to a hike trail and many expats in this location up in the mountains. Small friendly community. Get to experience the chinese culture, like Chinese New Year and different festivities in the village.

I am clueless on how weird village life can be, as the village the house is in doesn't have these customs, apart from traditional festivities going on like weddings, chinese new year etc. Maybe like UK small villages that have a church and a close knit community.

Please enlighten me.

Omg, the mother-in-law so true. Our horror stories came from the neighbor, a young indigenous man whos mother was very involved in building the house, and I think managing the two floors he rented out. She was awful, and harrassed us. His wife also was missing a few screws and came screaming at us a few times. He was relatively nice to us and tried hard to have "rational" discussions about how he wanted to change our behavior.

Sorry, I forgot one thing, split air-conditioned with "inverters" that also could heat. This was super handy, as we didn't need to keep heaters and were cosy in the winter.

I find the expats that find themselves in the villages also perfectly willing to participate in some illegal parking as they please if it suits them.

shri likes this.

Windows are single glazed, but I'd find double glazing and insulation appealing,as it could save electricity from running the ac.

What the other poster means, I think, is protecting from sound from upstairs or downstairs neighbors. It's a real issue with village houses as the floor is just concrete.

Thank you for the information. I suppose different villages have different ways and a mixture of people. Illegal parking is a no, no. I think assigned parking is a must in a village.

I understand about heating, i would want heating.

Does it get cold in HK?