Justifying a move

Closed Thread

Justifying a move

Hi,

I will starting a new job in Kowloon Tong soon (20 mins walk from MTR, 5-10 minute bus), and currently live about 25 minutes away.

I am considering moving to a new apartment, and really want to live in central / soho area, mainly for social / amenities / cultural reasons. Of course this makes no practical or financial sense, but on a personal level I am still caught between moving or not. The obvious advice would be to stay put and venture across regularly, but it's just not the same to just pop down for a drink or pick up some Western comfort food..

Is this as ridiculous as it sounds, or do many people do a similar commute / have made a similar move? How tortuous will the morning commute be? And is there anything else I should keep in mind, or be warned of? I'm really caught in two minds, and evidently dont know enough to make an informed decision so all thoughts appreciated!

hong kong public transport is both cheap and very effiecent, 25 mins is nothing, consider that a lot people take over 45 mins on average to get to work, i'll take 1.35hrs there and 1.35hrs back!!!

as long you don't mind cramp 'packed like a sardine can' travellng to work is fine

Is there a friend or a hotel you can stay in for a couple of days and try it? I, personally, value space and quiet much more than western comfort food, but if you value these things then you need to see if it works I think. I agree with the post above, you can get used to a long commute but there are times when it is a tad tedious! Having said that, if you are "commuting" for leisure too it's just 6 of one and half a dozen of the other!

I'd stay put to be honest as HK island rents are crazy and you can easily enough get your western comfort foods in Sha Tin and TST which is not far from where you are now.