What do flat and flat share mean?

Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Siu Sai Wan
    Posts
    1,661

    Please tell me you are not actually a qualified Doctor!


  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,221

    Why not? I don't see that being a doctor (of medicine or anything else) requires one to be able to speak a foreign dialect.


  3. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    8,569

    if you consider the fact that you could probably fit all of the UK into north america hundreds of times, it isn't surprising that some people don't find their way overseas, in which case, why would it be incumbant (did i spell that right?) on someone to know that in the uk, it is called a flat, a fag, a lift, a queue, braces, suspenders, lemonade, chips, crisps etc???

    it doesn't mean that they are stupid, just that they haven't had the exposure to other dialects of the language. the fact that they are now in a position to experience these things shouldn't be cause to laugh at them!


  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kowloon HK
    Posts
    1,227

    Yep, dialects, variations on a theme... can be a wondrous, fun and fiddly thing.

    After two wandering trips in the US, on top of years and years of watching US stuff, movies, soaps, listening to the music, etc, my "English" sometimes takes on a life of its own - sprouting other forms, playing on certain slants... which I'm not always alert to, OR if I were, I'd let go - absorbing some of the 'differences'. (Thus, the inconsistencies! )


  5. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    50

    Cheers...................!


  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,970
    Quote Originally Posted by carang
    if you consider the fact that you could probably fit all of the UK into north america hundreds of times, it isn't surprising that some people don't find their way overseas, in which case, why would it be incumbant (did i spell that right?) on someone to know that in the uk, it is called a flat, a fag, a lift, a queue, braces, suspenders, lemonade, chips, crisps etc???

    it doesn't mean that they are stupid, just that they haven't had the exposure to other dialects of the language. the fact that they are now in a position to experience these things shouldn't be cause to laugh at them!
    While I agree with you, I do find it fascinating that many americans seem to think that non-americans should automatically know their
    little language and cultural idiocyncracies as if by some god-given right! And to be honest we usually do because US language and culture is exported so extensively via TV and film. It's good to see the reverse in action and a little mild ribbing doesn't hurt.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    14,237
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    While I agree with you, I do find it fascinating that many americans seem to think that non-americans should automatically know their
    little language and cultural idiocyncracies as if by some god-given right!
    I'm still amazed though by the fact that some Americans don't seem to of been taught Geography as they still seem to think HK is the capital of Japan.


  8. #18
    jgl
    jgl is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,215

    Just to be fair, I've got to point out that such amusing ignorance is not limited to Yanks

    BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Jade's wit and wisdom

    Spencer: "No, I work in Cambridge."
    Jade: "I know I'm from Bermondsey and I know that's London, but where is Cambridge?"
    Spencer: "It's in East Anglia."
    Jade: "Where's East Angular [sic] though? I thought that was abroad."

    "The Union Jack is for all of us, but the St George is just for London, isn't it?"

    "I knew Lynne was from Aberdeen but I didn't realise Aberdeen was in Scotland."

    Tim suggested Jade move to the US, to which she replied: "They do speak English there don't they?"

    "Rio de Janeiro, ain't that a person?"

    "Do they speak Portuganese in Portugal? I thought Portugal was in Spain."


  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kowloon
    Posts
    1,184
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Just to be fair, I've got to point out that such amusing ignorance is not limited to Yanks

    BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Jade's wit and wisdom

    Spencer: "No, I work in Cambridge."
    Jade: "I know I'm from Bermondsey and I know that's London, but where is Cambridge?"
    Spencer: "It's in East Anglia."
    Jade: "Where's East Angular [sic] though? I thought that was abroad."

    "The Union Jack is for all of us, but the St George is just for London, isn't it?"

    "I knew Lynne was from Aberdeen but I didn't realise Aberdeen was in Scotland."

    Tim suggested Jade move to the US, to which she replied: "They do speak English there don't they?"

    "Rio de Janeiro, ain't that a person?"

    "Do they speak Portuganese in Portugal? I thought Portugal was in Spain."
    Ah god love her. My all-time fave was "I'm not going to be an escape goat for anyone"

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    soon to be Hong Kong
    Posts
    372

    why flats?

    its beggars the question why they are actually called "flats"? considering the building in question is actually a high-rise of more than one floor it would appear the building is in fact quite the opposite to flat ? im not surprised our american brothers ae somewhat confused

    I suggest we start looking for "Tall" shares or "Long" Shares si as to provide more clarity


Reply
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast