Yet another accommodation question for the newbie

JJO

Yet another accommodation question for the newbie

Hi - I'm moving to HK in about a month with my bf and planning on only staying one year. A few things we want some confirmation on - I've read / heard living in Soho or Mid-levels Central is a nice place to live.. is one more preferred for a young couple?

Also - We don't really want to rent an apartment unfurnished as we will only be there for a year - so we are currently debating between a furnished apartment or a serviced apartment (which sound quite nice - but a little weird living in a hotel type place for an entire year) . Just want some of your opinions on which would be your preference.. I'm thinking we'll get more for our money with a furnished apartment over a serviced (our price range around tops 55K/month looking for 2 bedroom greater than 1000 sq feet..)

Any feedback would be great. Thanks!!

At that price range you have lots of choice of serviced apartments, but standalone furnished apartments really aren't that common (at least not furnished to the extent that you can move in with a suitcase - most just have basic furniture). I'd go for a serviced apartment if I were you - some of them are not really much different from normal apartments plus a cleaning person (which many people here hire anyway), although the top-end ones that you are in the market for are commonly attached to hotels (albeit often with separate entrances and so on).

Last edited by PDLM; 30-12-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Is HK Immigration okay with your plans? I think they frown on people simply moving here.
    I am only bringing it up because you mention moving with your bf, as opposed to a husband.

JJO

Yes - both our jobs magically transferred us over. So on that front we are fine.. although a year not working sounds incredible.

With that budget and due to the relatively short time you will stay here I would go with a serviced apartment, too.