Pricing on Accomodation

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pricing on Accomodation

Hi,

I am wondering how much am I looking at a month for a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment on the mainland in a medium quality area. Also, how much is utlities about too? And is it hard to find a place for just 4 months?

Thanks

...mainland is a big place....

1. Where in the Mainland?

2. Define "medium quality area" and how long you expect your travel to be.

3. What utilities will you be subscribing to?

4. You can do short-term by negotiating with your landlord/agent. It's easiest to speak with the landlord directly, but if you don't speak Mandarin or the local dialect, then you'll either have to a) go through an agent (who'll probably end up showing you more expensive housing), b) go through a friend who speaks Mandarin/local dialect, or c) find a landlord who speaks English/your native language [if it's not English], in which case cost might again be an issue.

[edit] I read some of your other posts. It seems that you're actually coming to Hong Kong for four months and not going to the Mainland. Do you mean to ask whether or not you can find a place in Kowloon or the New Territories short-term, etc.? If so, then, again, what kind of utilities do you expect to use? What's your definition of a "medium quality area"? (IMHO almost everywhere in HK is of higher quality than the Mainland, though the housing is not necessarily so.) And what do you wish your travel time to be?

Last edited by Hokuto; 11-02-2009 at 01:35 PM.

I honestly don't care which district I'm in. Just not Hong kong island cuz i heard thats expensive. The only thing I expect from the place is that it's cheap and that my safety is not endangered (IE i'm not going to be robbed). I dont need a kitchen or a tv, I just need water, electricity, and internet. I only speak english, but my buddy coming with me speaks cantonese if that helps. I also have a friend in hong kong that could hopefully help me out too. I just want a rough estimate of what I'm looking at if me and a buddy shared a 1 bed 1 bath with these requirements...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by whim26:
    I honestly don't care which district I'm in. Just not Hong kong island cuz i heard thats expensive. The only thing I expect from the place is that it's cheap and that my safety is not endangered (IE i'm not going to be robbed). I dont need a kitchen or a tv, I just need water, electricity, and internet. I only speak english, but my buddy coming with me speaks cantonese if that helps. I also have a friend in hong kong that could hopefully help me out too. I just want a rough estimate of what I'm looking at if me and a buddy shared a 1 bed 1 bath with these requirements...
    Hong Kong island isn't the 'mainland'. Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Harbin, etc. are. Perhaps a map would be a good purchase at this point.

I suppose by Mainland he refers to Kowloon and the New Territories - which are in indeed the mainland....

Anyway to answer your question the price will vary greatly depending on the area...but since it seems you have no real needs you should be easily able to find something around 4/5K a months in a rather clean and rather new building in places like Yuen Long, Tuen Mun, Fanling....

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I suppose by Mainland he refers to Kowloon and the New Territories -
    The 'mainland' doesn't refer to Kowloon and the NT.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    i guess it depends on the definition of "mainland".

does it mean "mainland PRC", i.e. the borders of the PRC, or does it mean mainland, in the sense that it is not on the island of Hong Kong, but on the asian mainland???

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I KNOW, but for many people (the "funny" ones), when they take the MTR to TST or Jordan they will always joke saying stuff like: did you take your passport, we are going to mainland china....as compare to the very GWEILO side of HK island....

and for the record, Kowloon and NT are part of the mainland, just not the PRC....
    Last edited by Mat; 11-02-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Please do not be difficult. You know well that when the word "Mainland" or "大陆" is used, it is in reference to all within the borders of the PRC, excluding HK, MC, and TW (if you include TW as part of the PRC).

"Kowloon peninsula" and the outlying islands can be cheaper than HK Island, but there are also areas on HK Island which are cheap.

We need to know your budget is, where you need to be for work/your internship, and how long you want to take to get there, because housing costs can range extremely. For example, you could rent out a room with a private bath in Sheung Shui (right across from the Mainland border) from some guy who knows a guy for mad cheap, but you'd be extremely far away from places on HK Island.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast