Where to buy furnitures in HK?

Closed Thread

Where to buy furnitures in HK?

I am planning on purchasing a flat in HK, typical 600-700sq ft place and would need furnitures, nothing fancy but should be decent looking and decent quality.

Where is a good place to go buy? I only know of Ikea and Jusco.

Do furniture stores in HK normally provide free delivery?

Thanks,

Peter

on Hong Kong’s south side, in Ap Lei Chau, is Horizon Plaza with several floors of antique and furniture warehouses like Shambala (2F, tel: 2555-2997, Shambala Classics) and Tequila Kola (1F, tel: 2877-3295, Tequila Kola - Hong Kong Home Furniture). You’ll need to take a taxi here. About HK$70 from Central. Other options in Horizon Plaza include Rimba Rhyme (furniture and home accessories, 5F, tel: 8330-8100) and Irony (furniture, beds and linen, 11F, tel: 2518-8792). There's an Irony in Central as well (tel: 2234-9981).
    Furniture and home interior buffs should wander along Queen's Road East for a range of fashionable, high and mid-range options. Check out the sleek Asian-inspired Ovo (GF 16 Queen's Road East, tel: 2526-7226, OVO), the retro Design Link (GF, 11 St Francis Street, tel: 3113-8728) and Aluminium (Shop F, GF Queen's Centre, 58-64 Queen's Rd East, tel: 2577-4066, HK Aluminium) both tucked down side streets, as well as the eclectic Flea + Cents (1F, 34-38 Queen's Rd East, tel: 2528-0808, flea+cents) for secondhand western design curios at somewhat inflated prices. There's a good run of rattan furniture shops along here too.
    This should be a start. Possibly other GEOEXPATERs know of some furniture makers.

Also, years ago their was a buying tour to furniture factories in the New Territories but I don't know if this is still happening.

Several people I know also have had pieces made and shipped in Thailand and Vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by peterthepooh:
    I am planning on purchasing a flat in HK, typical 600-700sq ft place and would need furnitures, nothing fancy but should be decent looking and decent quality.

Peter
    There is no such thing as a typical apartment in Hong Kong, as it really depends on the age of the place, that will dictate the layout and the older the place the more useable space ( wall/floor area ) you will have. A 20 year old flat will be up to 20% larger than a flat built 3 years ago, boasting the same ft2 size.....

As we have renovated property in HK before, I cannot stress how important it is, to look around for furniture, after settlement, with detailed measurements of walls and room orientation data, so you can work out if a piece of furniture will in fact even fit...

We had furniture specially made from solid timbers, as we wanted to maintain a 1930's Shanghai / Euro fusion theme, but it really depends on what you are after and how much you are willing to spend, and if the furniture you buy will actually be worth anything in the future, or just be dumped in the land fills, which is where Ikea and all MDF furniture eventually ends up...

Without knowing exactly what you are after, from a design / budget stand point, I'd suggest that Alby's post lists enough to get you going, but Tequila Kola and Shambala tend to sell large pieces of furniture aimed at people that live in largish pads, and if you are happy paying 30,000hkd for an av cabinet lol They are both excellent choices... If you are a patient practical thinking person, you could scan the HK online classifieds on this website, its other rival, and buy these same medium end brands used. This style of furniture has that aged timber look anyway, used or new, nobody will know.... But your wallet will certainly, whats sold for $20K - $30K at Tequila Kola, usually ends up on the classifieds for $2K - $4K used when expats leave, and this brand is always worth something.

If you should ever move back home and need to sell this furniture on, it will be much easier and you will get your money back....That won't happen if you buy new generic furniture...
    Last edited by Skyhook; 23-02-2009 at 09:56 AM.

G.O.D in central (with locations all over hong kong too actually) has some cool designs. In Grand century place in Mongkok (the mall on top of the KCR train station has an entire floor dedicated to furniture shops!

Chatham Road North to Ma Tau Wai Road in To Kwa Wan has a lot of furniture / Kitchen shops that will design & build furniture for you or you can buy their ready designed ones, they will have folders for you to scan through and once order is placed, it will be shipped from china to your flat and assembled. Some shops can even send people to your new flat and help you design or arrange furniture. Delivery is free depending on how much u spend.

Another thing I forgot to mention when considering furniture for an apartment, is to measure the lift access, design furniture to be made in lift friendly sections, that can be assembled as one whole piece when cited in your rooms. A bit of a clever 3d jigsaw puzzle of sorts.

As per WTBHOTIA's advice, once you have decided upon a custom furniture shop that understands what design/style you want, the custom furniture shops will send someone to your home and tailor items that will integrate properly. They will draw up a scaled schematic of each item for final sign off, while taking into consideration of lift access, room orientation, wall lengths, distance from doorways, windows etc etc.. General turn around time is 4 - 6 weeks, from date of commissioning.

Definitely worth the time invested, as custom furniture will fit in better, while incorporating features, that will suit you specifically.

But I'd still check out the expat classifieds, ( like this one) a friend of mine bought an awesome Hollywood road sourced 2.8 metre/yard wide ( in 3 equal pieces ) solid timber vertical slat AV cabinet 4 months ago, ( second hand ), from an expat family who were leaving Hong Kong, which was beautifully made,for $2500hkd inc delivery from Sai Kung to Gold Coast. It was worth $20,000HKD new ! One seriously nice piece of quality furniture.

There are some real quality furniture bargains out there, especially at the moment....

Last edited by Skyhook; 23-02-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Thank You everyone for your input and advice.

Peter