Moving to Tung Chung - good idea?

Closed Thread

Moving to Tung Chung - good idea?

Hi,
    My husband & I are considering moving to Tung Chung (Carribean Coast / Coastal Skyline). We've seen some flats there and they are very inexpensive compared to most other areas in HK. For example, a 3 bedroom flat (1200 sqr feet) is between HKD 10-15 K (all inclusive) depending on the specifics.

So we were wondering how come the flats in Tung Chung are so reasonably priced? Is there a catch?

I would appreciate it if someone currently living in TC could share their viewpoint on how they find it living there.

How long does it take to get to work in Central from door to door?
    Is there a wet market anywhere in the area? (Not a Taste or PNS)
    Is there any noise from the airport being nearby?
    Also we heard there is a shuttle bus from TC to Central and the return journey costs HKD 26. Is this true? If yes, how long does it take for a trip one-way?

Thanks for your help!

Chloe

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    So we were wondering how come the flats in Tung Chung are so reasonably priced? Is there a catch?
    People don't want to go there! But on the good side, you won't have many drop-by visitors.

From CC, allow about an hour. 10 minutes less for CS.

Yes, there is a wet market in a shopping centre between the MTR station and the public housing estate.

Surprising little.

Also we heard there is a shuttle bus from TC to Central and the return journey costs HKD 26. Is this true? If yes, how long does it take for a trip one-way?
    This is for CC residents only. Cost I believe is the same as the MTR, $18 each way. Takes about 40 minutes, depending on traffic. Apparently it requires a load of paperwork to apply to use the bus.

I have a friend who lives in CC and one who has just moved out of CS. We were looking at moving there too but decided it was too far out and the construction and finish too poor (in CC at least).

BTW, CC is the only place in Tung Chung which allows dogs, so there are quite a lot, if that is a problem.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 25-02-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chloe69:
    Hi,
    My husband & I are considering moving to Tung Chung (Carribean Coast / Coastal Skyline). We've seen some flats there and they are very inexpensive compared to most other areas in HK. For example, a 3 bedroom flat (1200 sqr feet) is between HKD 10-15 K (all inclusive) depending on the specifics.

I would appreciate it if someone currently living in TC could share their viewpoint on how they find it living there.

Thanks for your help!

Chloe
    As you can probably tell from my login name - we love living here.

As to every place in Hong Kong, there are pros and cons. For us, the pros are that it's a very child friendly and pet friendly environment. There are plenty of facilities for everyone, and we even have our own seaside 'boardwalk' for walking. For us, it's also good to get away from the city after work - and although a 35min. commute is considered "long" in HK, in other countries its just a skip and a hop.

We take the shuttle bus back and forth and to give you specifics; the earlier busses take exactly 30mins from the time it leaves CC to the time you get off in Central. The 8.15am bus (last one in the AM) arrives at about 8.55am. Be warned though, that in order to buy bus tickets you have to join something called "CC Club" and you need your landlord to help facilitate this - ask your property agent to help you do this. The MTR door to door is about 45 mins depending on whether you catch the train straight away or have to wait. Shuttle bus tickets are $18 each way - same as the MTR.

There is a proper wet market right opposite the Caribbean Coast Shuttle Bus stop near the MTR - inside Fu Tung Estate.

We have a flat facing the airport/water and the noise is almost not noticable. The street level noise we faced from our 18th floor apartment in the mid-levels was MUCH worse and constant.

We really enjoy living here, and yes whilst property here is good value (we own) - we could live anywhere in HK - but choose to stay here.

PM me if you have specific questions.

I can vouch for ilovecc. Having stayed in Admiralty and Happy Valley before, now I couldn't be happier after moving to La Rossa. I can literally breathe easier here We have easy access to the water and hiking tracks of the mountain...and on a lovely day taking the kids for a ride on the cable car is also very refreshing! If 45 min commute is not a problem, I wouldn't be too concerned with the train fare---you'd have saved much and much more than that by moving to Tung Chung...Of couse at the end of the day it all depends on your preferred lifestyle. If you want to be close to all the excitement/night life that this city has to offer, then TC is considered 'too far'. However for us a family of four, we'd like to have easy access to more greenery, less congestion of people and cars, and convenient and relaxing shopping centre where I can easily push the stroller around. And with the huge savings on rent($50k versus $15k), we can dine out a lot more. There are quite a few nice restaurants within the citygate. Pacific Coffee offers pretty good coffee, too. And if we feel like going to some highly recommended restaurants in the city, hubby and I will set the time and we'll meet up there after work. Still after satisfying our palate, we will come back to this nice and quiet(compared to the city) place. It's just like a fish can breathe in water, we(speaking for ourselves) need space to feel more relaxed. I know we didn't come to this city for space, but still the bigger the better, please...
    My 2c worth.

Travel time is definitely an issue, but my experience is based only on visiting CC a couple of times by public transport. First time, I found the wait for the MTR could take up 10-15 minute during non-peak hours. The taxi from Tung Chung MTR to CC phase 1 cost around $25, which roughly equates to travelling from Kennedy Town to Central. Total travel time was around 1 hour.

Another time, we wanted to go to CC phase 2 and thought we would try the 'E2xx' airport bus that's stops directly at the complex. Bad mistake! Took bus from Western, changed at Mong Kok, then changed again at the Tung Chung Toll way - including waiting time, the journey took 2 hours!! no exaggeration!

A 45 minutes commute in the West may seem normal, but I don't relish the thought of being packed liked sardines on public transport during peak hour commutes, especially without a seat.

On the plus side, they have great club house facilities if that's what you are looking for.

Thumbs up Tung Chung is a great place if you...

- dont mind one hour travel to central (door to door)
    - dont want to have lots of expats around you
    - maybe speak a bit of Chinese
    - can put up with occasional plane noise at night (it's really not much, but there is)
    - can life a 'choice of one or two' (two PNS, one Welcome, one Bookshop, one bank, one small post office, no upscale restaurants unless you go to the airport)
    - dont need a seat in the daily MTR rides
    - dont mind the stuffed trains (hot and smelly in summer)
    - keep your expectations of the clubhouse in moderate territory (it's ok, but not a killer)
    - can accept no hospital or emergency service close by
    - have no good gym (if you are serious about sport, forget the clubhouse)

In return you life in a great community of peple, close to the sea, close the airport (which can also be conveniet), you dont get tempted to go to office on the weekend, you have lush green around you - well, it's the best place for all those folks who can do without the HK-Central luxury and like reading some pages of a book a day in the MTR.

Quote Originally Posted by amperium:
    - dont mind one hour travel to central (door to door)
    - dont want to have lots of expats around you
    - maybe speak a bit of Chinese
    - can put up with occasional plane noise at night (it's really not much, but there is)
    - can life a 'choice of one or two' (two PNS, one Welcome, one Bookshop, one bank, one small post office, no upscale restaurants unless you go to the airport)
    - dont need a seat in the daily MTR rides
    - dont mind the stuffed trains (hot and smelly in summer)
    - keep your expectations of the clubhouse in moderate territory (it's ok, but not a killer)
    - can accept no hospital or emergency service close by
    - have no good gym (if you are serious about sport, forget the clubhouse)

In return you life in a great community of peple, close to the sea, close the airport (which can also be conveniet), you dont get tempted to go to office on the weekend, you have lush green around you - well, it's the best place for all those folks who can do without the HK-Central luxury and like reading some pages of a book a day in the MTR.
    Hi, I guest you are not live in Tung Chung, pls come to Tung Chung you and find the fact your self :-
    1. travelling time is not that much, some people take shuttle bus to Central, only 1/2 hours, take MTR will be approx. 45 minute
    2. a lot of expat is living in Tung Chung
    3. Tung Chung, just like other district, speak Eng. and Chineses also o.k., I know a lot of expat, they all said there is no language problem for them by living in Tung Chung
    4. if your apartment toward the airport direct, plane noise will have a little bit, some apartment will not have plane noise problems
    5. There are 4 bank, 4 supermark incl. very Big one Taste. , very restuarants, you don't need to go to airport. Some of the are very good in the Citigate.
    6. Club in Tung Chung apartment like Coastal Skyline and Caribbean Coast are excellent compare with those in town centre. with gym, tennis, bowling, swimming pool, BBQ (indoor and outdoor) etc.
    7. I am a SLE paitent, I have not problem to take care of my medical problems, because there are several private clinic, or urgent case I will go to Prince Marget Hospital, only half hours.

Tung Chung is a very comfortable place for you, the only problem price of food is a little bit higher than some areas, if there is more big shopping mall, it will be perfect.

Tung Chung is a gret place

... and I have been living here for 6 years - so I know it first hand