109 Repulse Bay

Closed Thread

109 Repulse Bay

Does anyone out there have an opinion on 109 Repulse Bay? Whether it is over-priced/over-rated or if it is worth the money? Since I don't plan on having a car, it seems very convenient, with the preschool, grocery shop, doctor's offices, and other. There also seems to be a lot of kids, which will make it easier to send my kids out to play on the playground.

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Personally I think it is overrated. It has most of what you need but it's not actually that easy to access unless you like climbing up and down stairs and taking multiple lifts to get everywhere. The facilities are only average, particularly the playgrounds and from what I hear you only ever get helpers in the playgrounds anyway as the Mums have other things to do!

We considered it when we moved here but after one visit were put off. We're a fairly relaxed family and the thought of having to always comb your hair or be well dressed to pick up milk at Wellcome was really off putting. Sundays everyone should be allowed to take it easy no?

Also, you get ripped off everytime you shop at the Wellcome there. For example, Vanity Fair $95 at the Wellcome there, $65 at Taste in Stanley. I accept that living in an expat area (as we do, just outside Stanley) we will pay more for things than if we were living in a more local area but that's just insulting.

As for meeting mums and having playdates, it shouldn't be an issue there but it just depends on what type of person you are and what type of people you like. I would say they're a fairly high maintenance crowd. Appearance, money etc are very important. That's fine if you are the same but if you're not you will find it annoying and unfullfilling. There are plenty of other buildings with great facilities and kids in literally every apartment on the Southside. I would take a look around before you commit and spend a few afternoons at Repulse Bay having a coffee etc to see how you feel about it.

Claire

Sounds very stepford wives.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Claire

Sounds very stepford wives.
    That's a good description.

109 Repluse Bay

Thanks for your opinions. I can understand that the women of 109 can be a turnoff (I've heard this sentiment from other people as well) but how about living there for the kids? I'm actually quite immune to the whole "image upkeeping" thing. I really do not care to conform or be in with the crowd. Right now, I live in a building with very few kids and the area is not pedestrian friendly at all. So my kids are very lonely and I have to drive them everywhere to create a social environment for them. Since we are getting rid of our car, 109 seems ideal in terms of logistics. I'm wondering if it is worth the cost. I've heard that the turnover at 109 is very low as people who live there tend to not leave. I don't know if this is true or just a marketing ploy to collect high rents.

There are lots of buildings in HK that are fantastic for kids and would not require you to have a car. I really suggest you take a look round before getting too enamoured with any one place. Places to consider that are like the Repulse Bay (big, lots of kids, good facilities) are; Parkview, Bel Air, Manhattan, Pacific View. I would also strongly recommend Stanley. It's got a pretty good community feel, there are loads of kids and for the same price you'd pay at the Repulse Bay you should be able to get a bit more space, perhaps a bit of garden or roof terrace etc. You also have the added bonus of being able to walk to everything you need without feeling like you are so 'separate' from the rest of the world, something I would feel living in the RB.

Please don't worry about your children being lonely in HK. It is one of the easiest places for them to make friends particularly on the Southside, where lots of expats live.

Whatever you decide rents have come down a lot here, even in the Repulse Bay so don't let them tell you otherwise.

Hi, we stayed at the Repulse Bay complex for a couple of months when we first arrived. Personally I really didn't like it and we moved to Mid-Levels.

The things I didn't like were:
    - it was real Stepford Wives territory,
    - the playgrounds weren't very good and there were never mothers in the playgrounds,
    - it was very insulated from local HK life,
    - it was very expensive for what you get. When we were looking it was going to cost around $90k pm (inc of taxes etc). This was at the height of the rental boom and I am sure it would be cheaper now.

The good points were:
    - there are a couple of doctor's offices on site (good if you have young children),
    - it has a great pool children (better than I have seen anywhere else in HK).

I have friends who live in 109 and love it. There is no doubt that the apartments are spacious and lovely (I think the maids quarters even have a full sized bathroom!). However, these ladies, whilst they are lovely, don't want to be part of local HK life. They think it is really funny that there are so many locals in my building and that the signs are in Cantonese (bizarre hey!). They would never chow down at a $60 noodle joint.

So really, it depends what sort of person you are and what you really want from your HK experience.

$60 noodle joint?

Thats mighty expensive for some noodles.

Last edited by Brown_By_Nature; 06-03-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Where do you go? We go to Gough St or to the Islamic Food Street in Kowloon (sorry can't remember the street name!). It's about $60 for a huge serve of noodles with beef. Do you know better places?

you can get noodles for 20-30 dollars... sometimes even lower than that ;-)