need advice please, single female relocating to HK

Closed Thread

need advice please, single female relocating to HK

Hi,

I am in the process of organising my move to HK from London, but I'm originally from Australia.

I am a 29 yr old female, and will be relocating on my own there.

My office is on the Kowloon side, and while I was in HK last time I went looking for apartments, I have 2 places in mind, but don't know which is better??

I will be required to travel, and will be out of HK for 2-3 nights a week/fortnight (this will be probably be for the first 3 months)

I am a quiet person on my own, I don't mind being alone, but occasionally like people around me who are like minded. I don't party, not really into the club scene, don't drink/smoke...
    I do like art, enjoys food, fashion, weekend markets.

I can see my nights after work being quite relaxing, spending time at the gym and either dinning out alone or cooking. Weekends will be spent exploring.....so not sure which place is more suited for me, please help!!!

1. The Harbour View Place at Elements
    - Closer to work as it's on the Kowloon side
    - Serviced apartment with great amenities
    - My only concern is that it might be difficult to meet more expats here to make friends, also it would feel like a hotel as opposed to a home.

2. Centre Stage Apartments on Hollywood Rd, Central
    - Further from work
    - Not serviced
    - Have to buy my own furniture (How much would I need to initially set myself up? Bed, Small Dinning Table/Chairs, Sofa, TV?)
    - Also pay for my own bills (what is the average per month?)
    - But location is great, there are galleries, cafes etc...for weekends

Thank you

fm7

Harbour View is above the Kowloon Airport Express station, which is handy if you are travelling a lot. Also, only one underground stop from Central.

Others might disagree, but I think markets on Kowloon side are much better and more interesting.

I second FM7 completely -- HVP at Kowloon Station is quite convenient considering your job (especially the airline travel), and markets are better Kowloon side. Besides, you'd be quite close to Central should you wish to head down that way and transportation back to HVP shouldn't be that bad. Given that you're not into the club scene, don't party, etc., you should do quite well with not going that way every night. (I don't mean to suggest anything bad about those who do enjoy those things; much like the OP, I prefer more quiet things and the clubs/parties here in HK are beyond my comfort zone.)

Additionally, there are a number of expats in the various places attached Elements, as well as those in the surrounding areas who frequent Elements often (of which I'll include myself -- it being a short minibus ride away, we're constantly there).

Last edited by Hokuto; 03-03-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Check out Olympic - one stop on the tube from Elements and a growing expat community - far enough from the office to not feel like it's on your doorstep but I commute into Elements every day and it only takes me 20 mins door to door.

Island Harbour view, Long Beach and 1 Silversea are three complexes over here. PM me for deets.

If you want to be surrounded by expats then Hollywood road is the place to go, but personally I prefer life on Kowloon side.

Quote Originally Posted by shadezofme:
    Hi,

I am in the process of organising my move to HK from London, but I'm originally from Australia.

I am a 29 yr old female, and will be relocating on my own there.

My office is on the Kowloon side, and while I was in HK last time I went looking for apartments, I have 2 places in mind, but don't know which is better??

I will be required to travel, and will be out of HK for 2-3 nights a week/fortnight (this will be probably be for the first 3 months)

I am a quiet person on my own, I don't mind being alone, but occasionally like people around me who are like minded. I don't party, not really into the club scene, don't drink/smoke...
    I do like art, enjoys food, fashion, weekend markets.

I can see my nights after work being quite relaxing, spending time at the gym and either dinning out alone or cooking. Weekends will be spent exploring.....so not sure which place is more suited for me, please help!!!

1. The Harbour View Place at Elements
    - Closer to work as it's on the Kowloon side
    - Serviced apartment with great amenities
    - My only concern is that it might be difficult to meet more expats here to make friends, also it would feel like a hotel as opposed to a home.

2. Centre Stage Apartments on Hollywood Rd, Central
    - Further from work
    - Not serviced
    - Have to buy my own furniture (How much would I need to initially set myself up? Bed, Small Dinning Table/Chairs, Sofa, TV?)
    - Also pay for my own bills (what is the average per month?)
    - But location is great, there are galleries, cafes etc...for weekends

Thank you

Where you live probably does not define how many expats you meet .... geoexpat holds events to go to; see Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com for various other meetups (I go to scrabble and hiking, for example, but have a look and see if there are any that grab you!) - even if you live in the middle of the biggest "expat ghetto" in town you will still only be a small fraction of the tenants! Kowloon side is cheaper, convenient - sounds like the way to go to me! Anywhere on the Tung Chung line will be really easy for the airport - just hop up to Tsing Yi and get on the Airport express if you are at Olympic etc.

Harbourview Place should be a good choice as my collegaues living there have positive comments on their service and rooms.  There should have lots of expats living there as well.  I may move in there in April since I will be transferred to Hong Kong.

Thanks to all those reply your information is very reassuring...I have asked my agent to look into the HVP, and look forward to starting a new life in HK in April....