Moving to HK in April 2009

Closed Thread

Moving to HK in April 2009

Hello Everybody,
    Have been going through this site and finding really helpful discussions, specially for those of us who have not yet been to HK, gives a good idea. My husband and I will be moving to HK in April or May from Europe. I have been looking at various threads regarding accomodation, which is our primary concern for now. My question is, what are the current rentals looking like? Is it true that prices are dropping. We are on a housing budget between 20 to 30HK, someone said that we could look at places between 45HK, and it can be negotiated. True?

Also we like brand new constructions, does anyone have any experiance of residences at Casa 880? or any other suggestions? Looking for a over 1000sq ft, with big liv rm since we have more furniture.

Husband will work in Central, so any areas that would be next to MTR would be great, can you suggest anything for couples? Have no idea about HK so any help would be appreciated!

Hi, btw im a newbie in this website too, but be a quiet reader for a while. True that it has loads of sounded comment you could find in this site. Currently m' staying in shanghai, but before that, been living in hk for like 4 years or so (in total- so i regard myself as konger haha). Rental did soften abit when in late 2008. but from my experience, ican tell that those with best fitting will have less resistance to drop price and harder to negotiate that much. Only if you dun mind older buildings with less facilities, you can find some options available in happy valley. But hard to have it in the core of CBD center. btw, are you looking for longer term or what?

Last edited by LeeBee; 11-03-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Hi Leebee,
    Glad my post made you come out of the shell . Thank you for your feedback. I suppose you are right about some people not willing to negotiate if the property is really good, I guess we'll just have to try.
    Regards, how long, it could be 2-3 years, there is no contract, so it really depends on how long we'd like to stay.

Moving to HK

Hi hi,

I have registered myself 3 years ago on this site when I moved to HK with my husband due to his job. Currently we are on the way out of HK! Saw your note and thought I will share with you some of my own experience 3 years ago, and the situation in HK now.

True that prices are dropping. We have 2 units at a development near MTR station (only 1.5 years old), one for self stay and one for rent. The tenant we have is now bargaining for more than 50% drop in rent or he will move!

No idea of Casa that you mentioned, but depending on the place of work, and if you want convenience, from my personal experience it is always good to look for a place near MTR (the HK subway) for a start. If your husband's work place is at Central (Hong Kong station), maybe you can check out Kowloon station (1 train stop/5mins away from Hong Kong station) - above Kowloon station there are 5 developments and there's a mall with big supermarket. Slightly more upmarket place. 2 stops away is the Olympic station and many choices for places to live as well (cheaper rents), the mall is big too with more reasonable priced eateries and shops for daily living. I love my place which is near Olympic station, 1.5years old, above 1000sqft and has a balcony, and lots of eateries, grocery stores etc just downstairs. I take 5 mins to walk to the MTR, and my daughter goes to school nearby too. Details and rental rates can be checked out at the website [url=http://www.centadata.com]

Hi Laksa
    Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed feedback! Much much appreciate it.