Furnished Serviced Apt Needed for HKD25K-35K/month

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Oh, that sounds LOVELY.. How convenient for them.
    I'm hoping (please, please!) we ended up in a pretty good place with HarbourView Place.. from the reviews I can find, it sounds pretty good. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by bethany725:
    Oh, that sounds LOVELY.. How convenient for them.
    I'm hoping (please, please!) we ended up in a pretty good place with HarbourView Place.. from the reviews I can find, it sounds pretty good. Keeping my fingers crossed!
    I suspect it's fine but that you will be surprised by how small it is when you walk through the door - that would just be a natural expat reaction to just about anywhere affordable in HK! So long as you temper your expectations in this regard, I suspect you'll have a great time.....

Is it a lot smaller than NYC? We've most recently lived in Bombay, and now Singapore, so we've had space (relatively-speaking) for the last little bit. NYC was the least recent, but I remember the no-space situation quite well.. Do you know if the flats are typically comparable in size to NYC?

Last edited by bethany725; 21-04-2009 at 07:10 PM.

I cannot compare to NYC, sorry - but compared to flats in Australia - MUCH smaller; compared to the UK - somewhat smaller; compared to houses anywhere at all - tiny!

That's okay! Thanks for what comparisons you COULD make! According to the square footage, the 1 bedroom in HV is bigger than both the apartment in Atlanta we lived in, and the one in NYC. But layout can make a BIG difference when you're dealing with how "big" the space "feels."
    I think you're right and I just need to be prepared to feel squinched, so I'm shocked as little as possible.

Be aware that although the ICC is above an MTR station, it doesn't work very well for connecting to many places on HK Island because that MTR line comes into HongKong station. There is then a 5-10 minute walk (underground) to get to Central station on the HK Island MTR line.

You do have easy access to the bus station at Exchange Square from the MTR from Kowloon station though.

If he's working in Central it isn't clear to me why being close to the MTR was important for apartments in Central - you can walk from one extreme of Central to the other in less than 10 minutes.

But anyway I guess you're committed now. I hope you enjoy it.

Last edited by PDLM; 21-04-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bethany725:
    That's okay! Thanks for what comparisons you COULD make! According to the square footage, the 1 bedroom in HV is bigger than both the apartment in Atlanta we lived in, and the one in NYC. But layout can make a BIG difference when you're dealing with how "big" the space "feels."
    I think you're right and I just need to be prepared to feel squinched, so I'm shocked as little as possible.
    And hopefully when you arrive you will be pleasantly surprised

They do, in HK, include lifts/balconies and other common areas in the sq footage, which tends to knock off 20% or so.

Good info to know.. never woulda guessed that one!

there are a few threads here on the subject - I think people say newer appts tend to have more nonusable space than the old ones. I don't like in a flat so I'm not completely sure.

Just wanted to come back and update the thread since we're all moved into The HarbourView Place now. The experience has been great so far... My husband's company somehow inadvertently booked us into a studio instead of a 1-bedroom place, so we're trying to get that sorted out... In the meantime, I wanted to post some info on the studio apartment in which we're staying.

There's surprisingly ample storage space for the studio -- storage drawers under the bed, excellent cabinet/drawer set up in bathroom, and one entire wall is lined with medium-sized drawers/cabinets. There could be more closet space, but we expected a small closet (especially in a studio), and the extra drawer/cabinet space made it easy for us to store all of our clothing.

The main area definitely lacking enough storage for us has been the kitchen area.. There's hardly any cupboard space for pantry items. Also in reference to the kitchen, all of the provided dishes are bone china. While this is very nice, it cannot be placed into the microwave, so not very practical. However, for 1 person, the kitchen area in the studio is probably just fine if the guest isn't planning to cook nightly meals in the apartment.

The maid service seems efficient and does a good job. The reception/check-in process was smooth and professionally handled. Any questions we've had about any of the appliances has been handled quickly, although it'd be helpful to have a manual for each appliance placed in the room upon check-in.

A bonus is that, unlike many hotels/serviced apartments, most grocery stores/supermarkets will allow you to check-out online using your credit card, and the front desk attendants will deliver your groceries to your room once the goods have arrived.

The pool area (shared with the "W" Hotel) is very nice with plenty of loungers, umbrellas, and towels. It's not exactly "on the roof," since there's a higher extension of the building on the back wall of the pool, which means that after 2pm, that higher section blocks the sun. All in all, still very nice though and a good place to relax on pretty days.

The gym facility in THVP is great, also.. 4-5 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, 2 bikes, 2 stairsteps.. I haven't run into any problem getting a machine. There's usually 0-2 people in there when I go in. Towels are provided here as well, along with disinfectant solution and anti-bacterial hand gel. Each cardio machine has an individual TV on the actual machine that is operated by touch screen. I haven't used the weight machines or free weights as much, but a quick glance around gave me the idea that there seems to be enough to hit all the major muscle areas. There is also a supply of yoga balls available.

The rooms are nice and modern, and the layout is actually done very well. If anyone is considering staying at THVP, I'd recommend staying on that path .. We feel like we made a great choice when selecting our housing!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast