Landlord Issues

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Landlord Issues

Hi All,

I am new to this forum thing, anyway I am an American who was contracted here for 24 months and I am having trouble with my Landlord.

I need some advice.

I signed my lease in December 08 and unfortunately I have been told I am being sent back to the States for work. I have spoken to my landlord and he made an agreement with me, that if I found a replacement tenant, he would give me back my bond less any damage, which is fantastic. In my contract it does not stipulate anything about any penalties if I break my lease early, sofar I am happy.

The problem is that I have found x2 ppl that have excellent jobs to take over the place and can move in and pay the same rent etc, however the landlord is not responding to my or the prospective tenants in time. When I say in time, obviously the people wanting to move in, have to be out of existing places by certain time periods.

I have it in writing from the landlord that if I find a replacement tenant, he will give me my bond back, I have found 2 and yet he is not actively helping the situation at all, not getting back to me or the other ppl for days and days.

I think that he is just doing this as he knows he has my bond and can wait until we leave and then accept any offer that comes in.

Do I have any legal options here? Friends have told me if I have found and have documents proof of all my efforts and the lack of from the landlord to just not pay rent for the 2 months I have left and save the money. But I don’t want it to get nasty..

I know I am the one that is breaking the lease, but we came to an agreement, and he is not holding up, ironic coming from me but I need help.

Also, this is a personal lease, not a company lease & the apartment is in Wan Chai.

Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks,

Mark.

Contact your agent and get them involved as well as they rec'd your commision.

Could it be that they were travelling over the long holiday weekend?

I'd say just call the guy ... he'd rather have a tenant at your rentals than take your deposit and have no clue when he'll be able to re-rent the flat and at what cost.

hi

Hi!

Thanks for your prompt response!

I don’t think the agent will be able to help much, they to have followed me up, to follow the LL about an offer the agent put in. When I spoke to the LL last he was busy with work.
    I can agree to a point, but when all you have to do is look at a few offers and decide it can’t be that hard you ignore everything for 4 days right?

The last girl who wanted to put down a cash deposit had to sign another apartment, because of my LL non responsiveness.

It just seems unreasonable for him to ignore me when I have had 2 perfect, on paper tenants willing to put down cash to secure the place and he just writes saying he is busy, tuff basically.

Can you sublet? IE you sign up the new tenants and just keep forwarding the rent?

Can you not ring the guy up or does he not speak English? I think at this point I might just stop paying the rent and cut my losses.....

Sub

Hi!

I have not presented the idea of subletting; however doubt the LL will want this.

I know tell me about it, I am tempted to change to locks and just hold tight for a month and recoup at least have my bond.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Could be the landlord changed his mind, figuring you'll be gone long before any Small Claims Tribunal date. Perhaps he's found a new tenant at a better rental.

BTW, why change the locks when moving out? This is something done when moving in.

locks

Hi Claire!

the locks are just a precaution if it gets nasty then he cant gain access to the flat etc..

I don’t know what to do..., but this small claims tribunal, where can I find if I have a case?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkSenna:
    Hi Claire!

the locks are just a precaution if it gets nasty then he cant gain access to the flat etc..

I don’t know what to do..., but this small claims tribunal, where can I find if I have a case?

Thanks!!
    When are you actually planning on leaving. Dont bother changing the locks. If the LL enters your flat without your permission then you can call the Police on his arse.

Small claims tibunal will take too long. Just stop paying your rent and when you dont pay your next rent, the LL should come calling. Just tell him that they failed to live up to the agreement which you have proof off. After your 2 months is up then leave town.

make you life easier, claire and wtbhotia have very good advice.

you should play the same game he is playing. stop paying rent. don't answer his phone calls. send him a postcard to tell him he is busy. let him come and knock on your door. if he does break in, call the cops.

2 months later, ask him how the new tenants are. What, you never contacted the new tenants I got you???!?!

bon voyage!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast