Laguna Verde (yes, I searched...)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Laguna Verde (yes, I searched...)

I'm looking for some current opinion on Laguna Verde, and Kowloon accomodation in general.

Situation recap --

Gwailohs.
    Not in our 20's, but not dead yet.
    No kids.
    Possible cat (she's getting old, not sure it's worth putting her through the trip, and she can stay with the outlaws in the US).
    Have lived in HK before, and have traveled extensively, so we're not lost in translation.
    Spouse probably won't work initially, but probably will at some point.
    I work in Shatin.
    Most of our current HK friends live on the island, and we like many restaurants/clubs there, so we expect much of social life will be there.
    "Much of social life" is much less than 10 years ago, we're more homebodies now.
    I'd like "easy" transpo access, which for me means 0.5K or less walk to the MTR, or a good shuttle or green minibus available.
    We have a list of "musts" -- 3 bedrooms, a roof or a decent balcony, a "western-ish" kitchen (i.e. has an oven, not just a 2 burner hob).

We're been round and round the question of "where". Living on the island has many advantages, but means I suck it up for an hour commute each way, each day (I'm not driving a car, it's HKG fercryinoutloud!) Living near Shatin has its attractions -- cooler, calmer, greener -- but makes having dinner with friends into a bit of an expedition (we're in Ma On Shan now, so this is observation, not specualtion). Sai Kung or Gold Coast are decadent and beautiful, but I perceive (right or wrong?) commute/isolation issues. We're not suburbanite-type people.

The reasonable mind says split the difference -- Kowloon somewhere. I mention LV specifically becuase there's a flat available there right now that meets our musts. We've been studying KTong/Beacon Hill area too. What do the wise GeoExpats say?

what about royal peninsular:

- within walkable distance from Hung Hom station (20min to shatin maybe??)
    - 5min from city center (tst)
    - not too far from hk island

or Kowloon Tong sounds good. but i know some expats who dont like the area that much. they said it's too "residential"

if you look for "easy" transpo access and you are NOT driving, i dont recommend Beacon Hill / Laguna Verde

I second Royal Peninsula! Definitely easy access to transport. Great if you work in Shatin, coz it's so close to the Hung Hom train station. Closer to the bus terminals and ferry pier that will take you to HK Island than Leguna Verde. Plenty of 3-bedroom flats. High ceilings. Check it out!

I'll add some info about the Gold Coast - your best commute to Shatin is minibus/residents bus to Tsuen Wan (20 mins) then a green minibus to Shatin (10 mins) - so perhaps 40 mins with waiting.

If you eat out in Central you are looking at a 45-50 min bus ride home in the evening - not too bad but it can be tedious if you do it often!

You can get decent appts here though. Or a boat (I have an oven )

Quote Originally Posted by JT06:
    I second Royal Peninsula! Definitely easy access to transport. Great if you work in Shatin, coz it's so close to the Hung Hom train station. Closer to the bus terminals and ferry pier that will take you to HK Island than Leguna Verde. Plenty of 3-bedroom flats. High ceilings. Check it out!
    I also second Royal Peninsula. I just moved in and like it a lot. Very easy access to transportation, lots of space and nice facilities. Oh, and you can walk to Wampoa Gardens for shopping and Restaurants. Go for it

Unfortunately it looks like the Royal Peninsula flats have no balcony. Some outdoor space is an absolute requirement for me. Hard to explain, but the smallest of flats becomes more livable if I can sit outside.

Guess I could swing a bosun's chair out the window, huh?

So transpo from Laguna Verde is not good? Seems like a large development like that would be well served by public trans or have private shuttles.

Point well taken on KTong being residential. I have spent a couple weekend days walking around there, it seems devoid of restaurants or bars save the Festival Walk mall. I found access to the MTR easy from Beacon Hill, but I could see it being worse as you move east/south.

Last edited by TS888; 22-04-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:

You can get decent appts here though. Or a boat (I have an oven )
    Maybe I should get a boat -- during the week we could live in Tolo Harbour, and on weekends we can tie up at the Queen's Pier. Oh, wait -- that's 100 meters inland now, idnit?

I see. Sorry overlooked the outdoor requirement. For Laguna Verde, there are some green minibuses that go to Hung Hom train station, and buses that go to Central and TST from within / very close to the development.

You can check out this website:
    [url=http://www.centamap.com/gc/home.aspx]

Parc Oasis sounds good then ..... (but it's in Ktong)

- 5min walk from Festival Walk / MTR station (15min to Shatin)
    - with BALCONY (on top floor only)

i personally really dont suggest living in the city but not in walkable distance to MTR. you will be so tired of the daily bus/minibus + MTR travel roundtrip. taxi from hk island would cost around $80-100, not too bad if you hang out occasionally.

but if you would consider driving, there would be a much more nicer options ....

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia:
    Parc Oasis sounds good then ..... (but it's in Ktong)

- 5min walk from Festival Walk / MTR station (15min to Shatin)
    - with BALCONY (on top floor only)

i personally really dont suggest living in the city but not in walkable distance to MTR. you will be so tired of the daily bus/minibus + MTR travel roundtrip. taxi from hk island would cost around $80-100, not too bad if you hang out occasionally.

but if you would consider driving, there would be a much more nicer options ....

It's not so much that I don't want to drive, but the cost is a bit much right now. We have property in the US that we'd like to sell, but we took such a beating on value in the past year... We're hanging on to see if the market is better in 2010. So with a mortgage to pay there, living costs here, and trying to save a bit, a car is a luxury too far for the moment. And I let my mannerly Southern Gentleman upbringing take the piss out of me again, and I rented our US house to my outlaws for well under market value. Gotta be a good son, y'know.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast