Rent in East NT?

Closed Thread

Rent in East NT?

I'm thinking about moving up along the East Rail line. Would anyone know what the rent is like in that area? Preferably close to the MTR, but it doesn't really matter which station. Would be good if there's some direct bus routes to HK Island [namely Central and Western District] from there.

My parents are charging tenants about 8K for one floor (2 bedrooms flat) of their village house near Tai Wai. More for the main floor as they tend to be businesses also.

Someone told me that you can usually work out the rent according to size which so far seems to ring true from looking at estate agent signs.

I.e - a small (400sq) 1 bedroom flat in a high rise from $4k and a 2 bedroom village house flat (800sq) for 8k etc but this can depend on how 'local' you go, can you read or speak chinese or know someone who can for you?

thanks for the replies!

London2HK, i don't speak Chinese, but I don't mind living in a local area. I just need to travel between HK Island and where-ever I may be living up in the NT so it'd be nice to have a direct bus link nearby.

Take a look at this thread, some bus info

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread24232.html

If you just look at the signs outside the estate agents and compare them, you can pretty much work them out, they usually state two sets of numbers (square feet and price) and then the rest is characters probably saying where it is but will most likely mean nothing to someone new to an area anyway, so just ask the estate agents themselves as most speak some English.

If you are on a budget they usually have quite a lot of fees (more than in the UK anyway) you could try renting privately?

on a budget, you can rent a modest room/studio (200-350ft2) in shueng shui or fanling for 2k-3k. direct bus is 373 to central. get some who speaks chinese as you get a better price in NT

Shatin is one of the better connected places in Eastern NT. however the prices for flats here are not much better than a lot of places in kowloon. but will be cheaper than hk island.

thanks for all the info! really appreciate it!

i need to rent a 2 bedroom place...and that too on a budget haha... so i guess, i'll just make a field trip of it in the week and have a look. sounds like tai po and shatin are better connected, but fanling and sheung shui are cheaper. well, it figures... so i'll go and have a look! thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by acreativenameeh:
    I'm thinking about moving up along the East Rail line. Would anyone know what the rent is like in that area? Preferably close to the MTR, but it doesn't really matter which station. Would be good if there's some direct bus routes to HK Island [namely Central and Western District] from there.
    Depends what you're after really.

Rent can vary hugely within NT. But say in Shatin which is probably the best connected, rent for a 2-bedroom apartment would be around 10-12k; 3-bedroom around 15-18k. (estates like royal ascot, castello, pristine villa - which are relatively new and of higher building standard). There's also a considerable expat population in these estates as well.

Further north, you can expect rent to be another 10-20% lower. (Tai Po/Sheung Shui)

Re transportation, most parts of NT have direct routes to HK island, ie 680/681 serving most areas in Shatin (about 30 mins to Central).

Quote Originally Posted by bartwill:

Rent for a 2-bedroom apartment would be around 10-12k; 3-bedroom around 15-18k. (estates like royal ascot, castello, pristine villa - which are relatively new and of higher building standard). There's also a considerable expat population in these estates as well.

Further north, you can expect rent to be another 10-20% lower. (Tai Po/Sheung Shui)
    But if you are on a budget the best thing would be to just go into a local estate agents catered for locals and just ask them, they will show you flats that locals go for (people on more of a budget) any estate with expats shows you the price is probably higher than the equivalent elsewhere.

I agree just really depends on what your priorities are, I found a 700sq 2 bedroom flat in good new and modern condition in a village house for $4.5k (partly furnished too) BUT the location was bad, would have had to get a mini bus (5-10min ride) to get to the nearest MTR which was Sheung Shui which might not be a problem for someone who drives.