To Kwa Wan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

TKW is awesome. Many good and cheap restaurants and kind people. You can easily stay there for under 4.5K and getting to PolyU should be relatively easy via bus.

Do you speak Chinese? It will assist with the search. There are agents who speak English, but you'll have to search for them.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleluv_09
    Hi,
    I am coming over to Hong Kong in August to do my masters in HKPU. I have been researching for accomodation an have come across accomodation in To Kwa Wan. These accomodations are really value for money. However i am abit concerned about its accessibility. Would like to find out how accessible is To Kwa Wan from HKPU and TST and other parts of HK as i do not want to spend too much on transport as well. In addition, is To Kwa Wan generally safe to stay in? Or do you all have any other location to suggest for budget <4500HKD? Prefer not to share accomodation. Either a studio apartment of a 1br apartment would be good. Thanks.
    I've just moved to HK from UK and been staying in Tokwawan for last 3 months in a flat here and i have to say i really like it. At first i was a bit apprehensive abt not having the mtr closeby (in London my house was 3 minutes from the tube station) but the range of buses that go here are very extensive - almost any part of Kowloon or northern part of the Island you can get to, so that's not a problem.

My flat is in a block where it was built in the last 10/15 yrs so pretty solid. My Auntie's flat is just round the corner and that one is old, but even with that one they've had some upgrades in recent years and more new blocks are being built as we speak.

Shops/restaurants/supermarkets plentiful, as well as library/municipal buildings.

Safety? Very safe i'd say, even when i walked around at 3-4am in the morning (jetlagged). I did see ONE cockroach 3 weeks ago which totally freaked me out but havent seen one since

Underrated area

I was just in TKW yesterday and did see quite a number of roaches, but one sees them everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto
    TKW is awesome. Many good and cheap restaurants and kind people. You can easily stay there for under 4.5K and getting to PolyU should be relatively easy via bus.

Do you speak Chinese? It will assist with the search. There are agents who speak English, but you'll have to search for them.
    Ya, i'm m singapore so technicalli i'm fairly multi lingual though my cantonese might be abit more limited. It would be great if you could assist me with the search. Thanks a million. Do you have any email address that i can contact?

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYouth1
    I've just moved to HK from UK and been staying in Tokwawan for last 3 months in a flat here and i have to say i really like it. At first i was a bit apprehensive abt not having the mtr closeby (in London my house was 3 minutes from the tube station) but the range of buses that go here are very extensive - almost any part of Kowloon or northern part of the Island you can get to, so that's not a problem.

My flat is in a block where it was built in the last 10/15 yrs so pretty solid. My Auntie's flat is just round the corner and that one is old, but even with that one they've had some upgrades in recent years and more new blocks are being built as we speak.

Shops/restaurants/supermarkets plentiful, as well as library/municipal buildings.

Safety? Very safe i'd say, even when i walked around at 3-4am in the morning (jetlagged). I did see ONE cockroach 3 weeks ago which totally freaked me out but havent seen one since

Underrated area
    Thanks,
    From what u described to be TKW seems to be such a great place. I could not wait to fly over to HK and find a place in that area myself.

Don't get the wrong ideas though... it is rather down at heel.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger
    Don't get the wrong ideas though... it is rather down at heel.
    That it is. If you're not from HK, you might be a little surprised...

Quote Originally Posted by purpleluv_09
    Ya, i'm m singapore so technicalli i'm fairly multi lingual though my cantonese might be abit more limited. It would be great if you could assist me with the search. Thanks a million. Do you have any email address that i can contact?
    For e-mail, your best bet might be to contact the agents who appear to have TKW ones available. ???????? (technically in Hung Hom, in Bailey St) is the first agent I'd recommend, as they helped several friends find places and tend to have listings closer to Hung Hom.

If you can speak Mandarin, you'll generally do well with the various TKW agents. I almost always use Mandarin for searches simply because it's easier for me to be understood that way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2