To Kwa Wan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink To Kwa Wan

Hi,
    I am coming over to Hong Kong in August to do my masters in HKPU. I have been researching for accomodation an have come across accomodation in To Kwa Wan. These accomodations are really value for money. However i am abit concerned about its accessibility. Would like to find out how accessible is To Kwa Wan from HKPU and TST and other parts of HK as i do not want to spend too much on transport as well. In addition, is To Kwa Wan generally safe to stay in? Or do you all have any other location to suggest for budget <4500HKD? Prefer not to share accomodation. Either a studio apartment of a 1br apartment would be good. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleluv_09
    Hi,
    These accomodations are really value for money. However i am abit concerned about its accessibility. Would like to find out how accessible is To Kwa Wan from HKPU and TST and other parts of HK as i do not want to spend too much on transport as well. In addition, is To Kwa Wan generally safe to stay in? Or do you all have any other location to suggest for budget <4500HKD? Prefer not to share accomodation. Either a studio apartment of a 1br apartment would be good. Thanks.
    To Kwa Wan is safe, not many unsafe areas in HK, i lived there for 4 years and it was ok. You can catch No. 5 bus which stops right outside the poly u. for you budget, you will find flats that are in buildings with no lifts, the old type ones. Walk around to kwa wan and lock for agents.

It is safe but some flats in this area get broken into apparently (older buildings though).

Keep in mind To Kwa Wan is a very old area and you won't get much for a low budget.

Why not stay in the student dorms?

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    To Kwa Wan is safe, not many unsafe areas in HK, i lived there for 4 years and it was ok. You can catch No. 5 bus which stops right outside the poly u. for you budget, you will find flats that are in buildings with no lifts, the old type ones. Walk around to kwa wan and lock for agents.
    Thanks. I don't mind the older types of buildings as long as it is convenient and fairly safe. Since i'm on tight budget and do not realli want to stay with others i don't have much of choice. I'm abit concerned cos initialli i found a studio apartment next to prince edward mtr but was told by some friends that it's the "ganster street" and very dangerous for a girl to stay in. So want to source for information before deciding on where to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16
    It is safe but some flats in this area get broken into apparently (older buildings though).

Keep in mind To Kwa Wan is a very old area and you won't get much for a low budget.

Why not stay in the student dorms?
    School does not offer student dorm for master programme student. And flats in Hung Hom are generally more expensive especially since i do not want to share flat. Worried about conflicts and staffs. I don't mind staying in old area. It's afterall juz a shelter over my head as long as it is safe. Newer area meant u have to pay alot more and i'd rather spend that money travelling and shopping. Thanks.

In To Kwa Wan expect to get a mixture of older generation Chinese and new immigrants/low income families.

Links to local town centres are quite good, you can catch a bus to lively towncentres of TST or Mong Kok. Whampoa is quite close for weekly shopping trip.

There is a 24hr minibus to Mong Kok from the To Kwa Wan road as well. So it depends if you like mingling with the locals or not, To Kwa Wan and the immediete surrounding area is very local Chinese.

Reiterating sound advice for similar posts - It's best to come over and look personally at the area before signing any longterm commitment. You could rent a service flat for 1 month while you look for a more permenant home within your budget and requirements.

Ken

Recent experience

Hi,

I am also in PolyU and have been searching accommodation for last couple of weeks. I have been to the place To Kwa Wan and not many agents there could speak in english...agents in Hunghom are reasonably more versed with spoken english and from my recent experience, i believe you'll get a number of options in Hunghom within walking distance from PolyU. To the best of my knowledge, at least some Masters students of PolyU do get accommodation in Student hall, don't know whats the situation with you. But I advise look for accommodation in Hunghom (near Wuhu street, Whampoa street) with local agents.

KB

Hi KB,

Could you get a local friend or friendly student to help out with the translations? Assuming that you and the OP don't mind being immersed in the local community, you could get more for your rent in TKW.

Wuhu St. is close to Prince Edward and Mong Kok, slightly closer to lively nightspots. But there is a funeral parlour in one of those streets as well if I remember correctly.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by kbal
    Hi,

I am also in PolyU and have been searching accommodation for last couple of weeks. I have been to the place To Kwa Wan and not many agents there could speak in english...agents in Hunghom are reasonably more versed with spoken english and from my recent experience, i believe you'll get a number of options in Hunghom within walking distance from PolyU. To the best of my knowledge, at least some Masters students of PolyU do get accommodation in Student hall, don't know whats the situation with you. But I advise look for accommodation in Hunghom (near Wuhu street, Whampoa street) with local agents.

KB
    Hi KB,
    at least i noe for my course they only offer private accomodation but u need to share room and house wif many other ppl which i'm not very comfortable with. I can speak a little bit of cantonese if it's of any help. Will be looking around again when i reach hong kong. Am more of researching where i can stay. Thanks for feedback regarding the other areas near Hung Hom.

To Kwa Wan isn't that bad. I have to work out there every Friday and while some areas seem to have a rat problem (friend of mine told me she had them running around her flat), there are some good deals to be had. Lots of older people live in the area. There are lots of buses that go through the Cross-Harbour Tunnel, so you can get to HKPU very easily if you live there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast