should I move to Sai Kung? Rent price etc.

Closed Thread

should I move to Sai Kung? Rent price etc.

Hello,

I will be moving to Hong Kong in August. I have some questions about the Sai Kung area which you may be able to help me with.

Firstly, I am wondering what kind of place I could rent for roughly 8000HKD/month.

Secondly, I am curious to know how 'connected' with HK people feel in Sai Kung. I get the impression somehow that Sai Kung is not 'really' H.K. (maybe that's why people live there?). The reason why I ask is that I am currently living in a suburb of Shanghai, so I do not live in 'the city', because of this, I do not benefit from all the good stuff that city life has to offer here. Outside the city center here is much less developed, and there are few western amenities. Is Sai Kung like this?

Thanks in advance,

sai kung has quite a few western people living there, so there are quite a few amenities. there are, of course, even more in the centre of things (think mid-levels, happy valley, causeway bay) but then you are smack dab in the hustle and bustle all the time.

it all boils down to what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. if you want laid back and relaxed, a few beers down at the pub, then sai kung is it. if you want to be out dancing until 4am every night with hundreds of food choices on your doorstep, then you should be on hk island.

best to wait until you get here to decide.

Sai Kung is a bit of a commute to Central if that is where you are working. There is plenty to do there but the benefits are to be gained outdoors lifestyle rather than a multiude of bars, restaurants and galleries. There are other areas that may give you more of a city feel.

There are many expats living in Sai Kung though so I suspect it may have more of a western feel than your current SH suburb.

I had a friend who complained that it felt a bit remote living there, but that said she found another place in the area when her rental agreement was up so it must offer something even to the city socialite.

Not sure if this is a full answer but hope it helps

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the quick replies. Your thoughts pretty much confirm what I was thinking.

I will look for a short term stay, maybe in the area, just so that I can get a feel for the place.

Thanks again

It all depends on your life style and what is the max time u would like to commute. It takes me 1 hr to get to work and 1 1/2 hrs coming back. I dont mind it as I am used to it. I dont party as much as i did when i was single so even if i do go out it cost me $120 to take a cab back from wan chai.

Life in the villages is more relaxing, much better air, better neighbours (depending on villages ), great for weekends if you either have a roof or a garden on the ground floor (great for BBQ/Piss up parties).
    The weekends make it up for all the commuting i do.

Depending on which village you choose, 8K can get you a nice pad. I pay less than that for a ground floor 700 sq/ft with a 300-400 sq/ft fenced off garden.