Like Tree2Likes

Beware of Craiglist Scam at: Cimbria Court, 24 Conduit Road, Flat 5A

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Beware of Craiglist Scam at: Cimbria Court, 24 Conduit Road, Flat 5A

I saw a flat ad on Craigslist on May 28 and replied. Heard nothing until 2 hours when a "Patricia Sadler" ...yah right... emailed to tell me that this great flat was 762 sq ft for HK6000. I then googled this thinking that something was weird and guess what this is one of the infamous scams and they have apparently hooked and duped folks.

The scam site which won't post here as people from as far as away as the UK and Singapore replying.

"Hong Kong SCAM from Patricia Sadler for HKD 6,000/2 br Splendid, Well Spacious and Furnished Two Bedroom Flat (Mid Level West, Hong Kong)"

Last edited by Football16; 02-06-2009 at 01:18 AM.
    GeorgeLo likes this.

This is odd. I emailed back to the slimey Patricia Sadler telling her I was reporting her and now when I try to access my gmail account that I was emailing her on, it says my account is now disabled. Yikes.

What is going on? Did that slime ball report me and get my email screwed up??

OK, I am back in my account but that scared me!

Last edited by Football16; 02-06-2009 at 01:32 AM.

The scam (and many variants on it) is documented here: Some unfortunate stories Warning about apartment scams on Craigslist Paris (and elsewhere). Don't understand you not wanting to post it - the more people who know the better surely?

On the issue of gmail - dunno - try contacting gmail support and see what they say.

And a very quick check on Gohome would show that "Flat 22" doesn't exist in Cimbria Court (in fact no HK building that I know of is numbered that way).

Last edited by PDLM; 02-06-2009 at 01:41 AM.

So what's the scam?

Ah, PDLM beat me to it.

And the link above has a UK mobile number which would surely be enough for the Law Enforcement Agencies to nail the person.

Football16 - I thought that was your patch... someone you could talk to?

And looking a bit at it, Craigslist is full of all sorts of totally implausible ads for accommodation in Hong Kong - looks like a very dubious place to me with no quality control whatsoever.

Last edited by PDLM; 02-06-2009 at 01:53 AM.

I suspect that the UK where I saw this website has got onto these bozos but like everything else these days, finding the cell with a SIM card from 711 is not something they bother with.

Yes, that was the site that PDLM posted that I found but for some reason I could not post the link. That has all the sorrid details.

Yes, Craigslist is dubious at best but while ordering up the gorgeous hooker that turned out to be a weighty 450 lbs hairy babe I saw the flat but the ad there was innocuous and didn't have details.

Again how can people fall for this. No key in the city...lol. Send me your bank info...etc.

Last edited by Football16; 02-06-2009 at 08:19 AM.

Craigslist is user-policed. If you see a scam post, you flag it.

Craigslist is not much use here, as it's English only. Locals don't use it, and expats use expat-centric boards like this one where their main audience is found.

In the US, it is by far the best classified postings. I have sold two houses, bought one, bought and sold numerous cars, stereo equipment, etc., etc. all on Craigslist. It has scammers there too, but so do many other online buy/sell sites like eBay.

Caveat emptor...

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Football16

Again how can people fall for this. No key in the city...lol. Send me your bank info...etc.
    It's the langauge used in the emails that makes me laugh.

" went for a crusade in West Africa and i will like you to get in touch with my wife in united states for more discussion as She is with the keys and the document to the flat.Pls i want you to note that,I am a kind and honest man and also i spent alot on my property that i want to give you for rent,so i will solicit for your absolute mentenance of this house and want you to treat it as your own,is that taken,it is not the money the main problem but want you to keep it tidy all the time so that i will be glad to see it neat when i came for a check up.i do that once in a while.I also want you to let me have trust in you as I always stand on my word."

*Never trust a man that stands on is word*

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

There's a "$6000/2br (Mid Level West)" which was posted on Sunday. Too good to be true? Hmmm... let me think...

Claire : Where? On GeoExpat?

We're relatively safe with rental listings... given that users have to PAY to list their ads. Scammers would never pass the tests that are run on IP addresses and emails by the payment processors (assuming that there is a scammer out there who can pay).

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast