Need acco on HK Island... Budget of 7k... Pls HELP!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need acco on HK Island... Budget of 7k... Pls HELP!!!

I am moving to HK on 16th June with my wife and 2 year old daughter. Am looking for acco on the Island side. My upper limit is HK$ 7k all inclusive. Any suggestions appreciated. I would have only 1 week to finalise and move into an apartment once I land there.

It can be done. You can look around Sai Ying Pun, Aberdeen, Kennedy Town, Sai Wan Ho districts. There are lots of estate agent offices on the street everywhere.

Yes bookblogger is right. You will most probably find around 500 sqft under around those areas.

If you need help, you can contact us at
    [email protected]

Thank you for your replies. I have been looking for aptts on the internet trying to avoid giving commission to agents. Any thoughts how we can find out apartments without going through agents? Have already looked through a number of websites- gohome, hong kong homes, squarefoot etc.

Unfortunately, most of the big websites target big(ger) earners... So best is to travel to the areas you are interested in and talk to agents - it's not impossible to bargain the commission down to zero these days.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD:
    Unfortunately, most of the big websites target big(ger) earners... So best is to travel to the areas you are interested in and talk to agents - it's not impossible to bargain the commission down to zero these days.
    Agent is going to charge you 1/2 months rent commision regardless if its a 3K rent or higher (for higher amounts might be able to nego down a bit). They need to earn money as well to survive.

The only way you can skip the commision is to find adverts on walls and street lamps as they are most likely posted by owners who also want to not go through agents but they are all in Chinese. You will definitely need a local friend to help you in that. Sai Ying Pun / Kennedy town is your best bet for 7K or any other older aparment blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Agent is going to charge you 1/2 months rent commision regardless if its a 3K rent or higher (for higher amounts might be able to nego down a bit). They need to earn money as well to survive.
    1/2 months rent: That's the basic rule, yes. But if your negotiation skills are good you can reach a zero commission, also for cheaper flats.
    However, it will be a deal between you and the agent, often agreed to by handshake.

The landlord still pays the other half.

Quote Originally Posted by nike439:
    Thank you for your replies. I have been looking for aptts on the internet trying to avoid giving commission to agents. Any thoughts how we can find out apartments without going through agents? Have already looked through a number of websites- gohome, hong kong homes, squarefoot etc.
    No, as I mentioned earlier, you will have to visit the areas and look for estate agents (or ads on walls). No one puts cheap flats on the internet.

Actually I don't know why so many people here are intent on avoiding estate agents' commissions. It's only half a month's rent and they have to make a living. If you don't speak or read Chinese you'll probably need their help to find a flat.

Not sure how to find this out but I gather that owners in the Grand Waterfront in To Kwa Wan lease out at times with no agents or so I heard from someone from Europe who was here for one month only.

This geoxpat site has flats by owners - no commission.

Tung Wah Hospitals similar BUT they have an income requirement for their properties (just working on getting a flat there in one of their buildings - clean, older, but suites gutted when tenants leave.) Incomes must be 3x's monthly lease rent. They have listings around HK but I was/am looking in Sheung Wan at 2 BRs. Google that site... in a rush now.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast