Weird problem..

Closed Thread

Weird problem..

Hey, listen to this:

A couple of days ago, when we switched our AC, after a few minutes, the light bulbs that were on started blinking till we finally swtiched the AC off. Two more appliances which were on went off as well.

When we called the landlord asking him to check immediately, he sent a guy who just switched off all buttons on the mains and switched them on again. Then tested all ACs. Fortunately or unfortunately, they didn't cause any issues that time so he said it's all ok. Landlord says it could have happened because of humidity (!!!) and rainy weather since we are on the top floor and so there is nothing for them to do.

All this sounds weird to me. What about other top floors, do they all these problems. I am sure not. Other flats on our floor seem to be fine. We feel so unsafe switching on any AC now since it could be so dangerous.

What to do in this case, any suggestions? This is not the first that idiot is acting this way..

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The circuit breaker trips to keep you safe. Were the two other appliances on the same circuit? If yes, you could have overloaded it. The circuits will have a maximum load, after that the circuit breaker trips.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 05-06-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're drawing too much current. You might want to have an additional outlet installed if you have too many appliances plugged into one outlet somewhere.

Have you check if the plug had the correct rated fuse for your AC's power consumption (wattage)?

Yeah it could be that too, although I think the landlord probably had the airconditioner installed. Do you have anything else plugged into the outlet used for the airconditioner?

we live in a village house and i lived in one in the past. often when it is raining or very, very humid, our main breaker switches off and someone has to get all dressed up in raingear and head out to the main breaker box outside.(this has happened in both village houses i've lived in, as well as my aunt's current house. it also happens to our neighbours)

No, the time when the blinking happened, only one AC a small fan, a cellphone charger and 2 light bulbs were on. Also, that AC has it's own independent circuit.

If it trips, then the MCB button should be down, right? It wasn't.. that was what was scary